Connect the ODBC on -premise with the Planning Analytics on Cloud

krithika331
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Connect the ODBC on -premise with the Planning Analytics on Cloud

Post by krithika331 »

Hi,

I am having the query regarding the Planning Analytics which will be hosted in Cloud environment. Our RDBMS source is on-premise data source server. How can we have the ODBC datasource connect to the PA on cloud. I don't think we have the WorkSpace available in the cloud. what is the approach to follow and the options available. I am new to the Planning Analytics migration from older TM1 version.

And also, how do we manage the security groups and Users. Currently TM1 Server authenticates users using IBM Cognos security but now Planning Analytics which will be hosted on cloud, what will be the challenging things to consider in using Cognos authentication for Planning Analytics on cloud.

Thanks in advance
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: Connect the ODBC on -premise with the Planning Analytics on Cloud

Post by David Usherwood »

For connecting to on premise databases:
https://www.ibm.com/uk-en/cloud/secure-gateway
If you are using IBM's SaaS PA then you will have the Workspace.
The security is done by issuing your users with IBM IDs and CAM. You can manage the groups and TM1 security is not really any different.
ascheevel
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 365

Post by ascheevel »

If you are moving to PA on IBM's cloud, you will have access to Planning Analytics Workspace (PAW).

PA on cloud can connect to on-premise datasources using secure gateway: Administer IBM Secure Gateway

I believe you get a Cognos light subscription with PA on cloud, so you can use cognos security groups no problem. Within TM1, you'll still administer cube/dim/element/cell security the same way.

Tomok had a great post about their experience migrating to PA cloud that you should check out if you haven't already.
krithika331

Post by krithika331 »

Thanks for the details.

From Tomok post, I understand that the ODBC access through the secure gateway will likely be a heck of a lot slower than when you were on-premise. Do we really need to create the flat files and do the FTP to the cloud?? This will be a lot of work involved to redo. Please suggest if this is only approach or any alternative to overcome performance in the Future.
ascheevel
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 365

Post by ascheevel »

krithika331 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:47 pm Do we really need to create the flat files and do the FTP to the cloud??
I think you would have to test performance through the gateway yourself and not base a decision to reconfigure your import processes on one person's experience.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Whether you choose to use the secure gateway or re-engineer your load processes to utilize flat files is entirely up to you. The only way you are going to know is to do some performance testing of both. Just make sure your performance testing is the real thing, not some limited subset of your real setup. AFAIK, there is no other way. You either use the secure gateway to access your on-premise data sources or you do it with flat files and FTP.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
krithika331

Post by krithika331 »

Thanks Tomok and ascheevel for the information regarding the connection to on-premise ODBC. But regarding the CAM authetication, as per ascheevel, Cognos light subscription with PA on cloud, we actually, have the cognos on-premise and using the CAM authentication for TM1 10.2.2. But when we move only the PA to Cloud, how can we utilize the same CAM authentication groups for PA, as Cognos will be on-premise? Could you please clarify.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

As per my earlier post your users will be issued IBM IDs and use the CAM in place on SaaS. You can mirror the on premise Cognos groups on SaaS but I believe you have to do this via a support ticket. I don't believe IBM offers any way to connect the two - but asking them would be sensible.