How can I input data in consolidate itens?

tianoklein
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

How can I input data in consolidate itens?

Post by tianoklein »

Hi Guys!
This is a simple problem, but I can't find the solution. :roll:

I have a Hierarchical dimension, with consolidate and simple itens.
Some consolidate itens have a calculations (like sum, multiply or divide), and some have not.

The consolidation itens, who haven't calculations, I need to input data (like a simple itens).

How can I input data in consolidate items in a hierarchical dimension, without loss the data inputted in the leaf?

Thanks for any advice. :mrgreen:
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: How can I input data in consolidate itens?

Post by jim wood »

You can only input data to it's children. You could also try to update it using spreading that will spread to it's children.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
tianoklein
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by tianoklein »

Hello Jim,
Thanks for your advice, but my request are exactly that ( input data into consolidate items without calculations).
I tried to put 0 in dimension weight, but isn't work well.

Maybe exist some configuration in tm1s.cfg, or something like that, but I not found yet. :|
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

tianoklein wrote:Hello Jim,
Thanks for your advice, but my request are exactly that ( input data into consolidate items without calculations).
I tried to put 0 in dimension weight, but isn't work well.

Maybe exist some configuration in tm1s.cfg, or something like that, but I not found yet. :|
You can request anything you want but at the end of the day you can't change the way TM1 is designed to work. You cannot enter data into a consolidated node in TM1. That is the bottom line. Doesn't matter what weight you give the children of that node or any setting you may set in the server. You can use the data spreading functionality that exists in TM1 to input data into a consolidated node and have the tool spread it to the underlying nodes. If you want to know the different spreading options I suggest you read the User Manual. There are too many to mention here.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
tm1_bloke
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by tm1_bloke »

You can't change the fact that data in TM1 is always stored on leaf elements, never on consolidated elements. However, you can build your model and especially with 10.2. TM1Web so that it looks like the data is stored on consolidated elements. Still you have to bear in mind that data input on consolidated level is spread in the background and stored on underlying leaf elements.

So what you could do?
1. Change the weight factor of "real" leaf elements to 0
2. Create additional dummy leaf elements in each consolidation to represent the consolidation. Set weight factor to 1 for these elements.
3. In TM1Web you can input data without any extra data spread commands on consolidated level and data will be spread automatically to underlying leaf elements. Now the element weighting comes in the picture. Due to 0 factor of "real" elements data will be spread to newly created dummy element only.
4. Hide dummy consolidated elements (element security/just don't show the elements) to make the illusion of consolidation input perfect.

This might help you with your request but still it would be nice to hear what are the real business reasons behind the request? The proposed solution here works nice in theory but may not be viable in real life.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

If you are going to input values at consolidated level, watch out to not spread data over millions of cells at once!
There is a great potential risk, not in the dimension that you are talking about, but in the other dimensions.
While it can be easy to just change the values at aggregated levels, it can greatly increase the cube size, number of feeders, and so on.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Another thing to consider is creating a text element in your measures dimension. Then you can enter a number at the consolidated level. So have a starting value, override (text) and final value derived by a rule. The problems however with this are obvious. If they enter say "A" your rule will breakdown. As other have mentioned (and I mentioned) you just can't write data to consolidated elements. I and others have also offered you alternatives. You're just going to have to choose the one that fits best for you.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube