Server created via Cognos Insight

Kaspar
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Server created via Cognos Insight

Post by Kaspar »

Hi,
I've just stared working with TM1 10.2 and I've got some questions abou Cognos Insight (I haven't found similar topic on this forum, and I am a bit newbie in this technology)

According to this docment:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/ ... ge627.html

When user publishes data from .cdd file, a new TM1 Server is created.
My first question is what is the difference between server created via Cognos Insight and regular TM1 Server, created via Cognos Confguration?
Can I publish .cdd data on existing regular TM1 server, not created using Cognos Insight?
The last question: how to completetly remove such server (created via CI)?

Thanks in advance for help
Kaspar
Kaspar
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Server created via Cognos Insight

Post by Kaspar »

Anyone?
Trevor MacPherson
Excel Version: None

Re: Server created via Cognos Insight

Post by Trevor MacPherson »

I only ever use CI to create server instances, so the exact differences are more of a guess that a certainty... no matter what they are, they will be very minor. Clever folks often move servers both ways (i.e. pack an existing instance into a .cdd file, then publish that)
The server data directory, unless otherwise specified in the application server configuration, will be here:
<installlocation>\ibm\cognos\tm1_64\webapps\pmpsvc\WEB-INF\desktopdata\<your application name>

The configuration will slightly different... not an exhaustive list, but these are used:
AllowSeparateNandCRules=T
PersistentFeeders=T
DistributedPlanningOutputDir=.\TUnits #this depends on the app type - not set for Central, although probably could be now that Distributed mode works for Central apps

Because captions are used everywhere in CI, it may look very different in Architect - i.e. New Cube 1, etc... in Performance Modeler, this is just a right click to show captions, and it will look the same.
Security will already be set based on the security used to authenticate initially (i.e. CAM or Native)

Removal is almost too easy - from the Application server portal, click Tools, then remove the instance - not well that this will delete the application, the service, and the data directory in the case of CI published applications. You will be warned, but be warned - Remove is delete, and the data directory itself will be gone forever. If you also publish BI content, you have to delete it from BI - the main pieces are workspace or reports, package (which will include these) and datasource.

Cognos Insight does not handle merge problems on Publish, so you cannot publish to an existing instance, and really wouldn't want to until that problem is sorted out. You can however Transfer from published .cdd to existing instance, which a number of customers are doing, and I highly recommend it. Especially if you have a "sandbox" environment where many users are potentially publishing, but want to harvest this content to move into proper dev/qa/prod environments.

I should point out that if you are just trying to publish BI content from Insight for an existing instance of TM1, you can just connect and publish to create the BI artifacts.

If you have other CI questions, the AnalyticsZone community has a few folks who have strong CI knowledge who are happy to help.
https://www.analyticszone.com/communiti ... 02be87cd81