Server Spec

RLReyes
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Server Spec

Post by RLReyes »

Folks,
I was informed by our IT dept that our TM1 blade server is up for an upgrade. Our current TM1 blade has 2 dual core cpu with 32GB of ram. The OS is Windows2003 64bit. We have less than 200 users.

What would be an ideal spec in terms of cpu & ram for our new TM1 blade server?
CPU - quad or 6 core???
RAM - 32GB or 64GB or higher...?

I did check out IBM's website and was able to get the base system requirements but wasn't able to get an ideal system requirement.

Thanks in advance...
- Rod

TM1 Version: 10.1.1
Excel: 2010
Jeroen Eynikel
Community Contributor

Re: Server Spec

Post by Jeroen Eynikel »

RAM:

That is the easiest: how much RAM is your current model using and by how much is it growing? Look at peak usage - not average usage. This is something you can determine yourself. There is no added value in having 64GB of ram if your model is only using 20 and it is not growing... Combine that with how long your new server needs to last and you will have your answer.

Keep in mind that depending on your current version of TM1 a TM1 upgrade may also consume more memory in itself. I.e. the trend over the last few years is that new versions of TM1 usually use more memory than the previous one. I don't think this trend is going to reverse.

CPU:

Depends on the typical behaviour of your users. If you have lots of simultaneous read actions and few write actions you should get some benefit out of extra CPU's. I would guess that a good indicator would be is to ask the IT department to monitor the server for a while and see whether it is using all of the current cpu's regularly or not.

Ofcourse the easiest advice: go for the biggest, meanest machine your budget allows. It can't hurt can it? :p
Last edited by Jeroen Eynikel on Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Hammond
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PAW/PAX 2.0.72 Perspectives
Version: TM1 Server 11.8.003
Excel Version: 365 and 2016

Post by John Hammond »

http://forums.olapforums.com/viewtopic. ... 6130#p6130

Did a bit of this myself a few months back. Needless to say never got the spec but you can get something fantastic for < £10k
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Hi,

Please note that (according to my information) with the new IBM licensing your TM1 license fee is PVU (Processor Value Unit) related. Upgrading to a machine with a bigger total amount of cores will have a license fee 'penalty'.
So going for the biggest possible machine fitting your budget is not necessarily the best option (or at least also determined by the increase in license fee).

Michel
Jeroen Eynikel
Community Contributor

Post by Jeroen Eynikel »

Michel,

I had completely forgotten about that, but indeed at least some of the new licenses are PVU based, which may be a very important cost factor.

I read at one time - though I can't remember where that there was a benchmark called CINT2000 which would be pretty indicative of TM1 performance. I have no idea whether that is still the case.

Jeroen