MDX analysis of what you are feeding

gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

MDX analysis of what you are feeding

Post by gtonkin »

For those looking to get something more out of MDX, please have a look at the article I just posted on the IBM Community

It also contains links to my other articles on using MDX views.
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: MDX analysis of what you are feeding

Post by Elessar »

This worked for me, thanks!
This MDX has also removed all overfeeding in my model and cleaned my aura!
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hoping this was part of the April fool as well?
Also, in V12, the }Stats cubes are deprecated
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Unfortunately not, but with the announcement of V12 for on-premise, I do wonder what we were told would not be available, will now be available again as we would not be running containerized, would have access to the filesystem etc.
SaveDataAll, AsciiOutput, possibly logging remains?

Some further questions for the next AMA...
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

They were pretty clear when asked that v12 on premise would not re-introduce any of the functionality that v12 containerised was removing.

The loss of the Stats cubes has not really been publicised, it's a pretty big deal isn't? How are we supposed to tell we have got our designs right, if dim order needs tuning and perform general oversight of system health.

Has a replacement been hinted at?
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Steve Rowe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:20 pm They were pretty clear when asked that v12 on premise would not re-introduce any of the functionality that v12 containerised was removing...
I hear you but cannot fathom right now how we would not need to save cubes back to the filesystem to commit changes to disk in a non-containerised environment.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hi Steve,

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/planning-an ... -analytics

Please scroll to the last part of the document.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

Thanks Wim, that's an interesting read, most of the items are pretty obscure.

A few items stand out though
TI Functions.
Interesting that the ASCIIOutput function is not listed, the one thing that has been known for a long while to not be possible. Same for ExecuteCommand.
AssignClientPassword - I'm assuming because (I assume) mode 1 is not supported?
CreateHierarchyByAttribute - Whilst often not practical in the long term, it is great for quick and dirty hierarchy builds.
SwapAliasWithPrincipalName - Actually a genuine problem for some planning applications where the planning team will use temporary SKU names in advance of the SKU becoming real and getting a proper name, at which point an alias swap is performed.

The loss of the Stats cubes is going to really problematic though, at the moment the only place that you can use PAE you are billed for on a RAM basis, yet you can't tell how big your cubes are anywhere?
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

I think that AsciiOutput is still there, but then towards folders relative to the model_upload folder.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Steve Rowe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:03 pm Thanks Wim, that's an interesting read, most of the items are pretty obscure.

A few items stand out though
TI Functions.
Interesting that the ASCIIOutput function is not listed, the one thing that has been known for a long while to not be possible. Same for ExecuteCommand.
AssignClientPassword - I'm assuming because (I assume) mode 1 is not supported?
CreateHierarchyByAttribute - Whilst often not practical in the long term, it is great for quick and dirty hierarchy builds.
SwapAliasWithPrincipalName - Actually a genuine problem for some planning applications where the planning team will use temporary SKU names in advance of the SKU becoming real and getting a proper name, at which point an alias swap is performed.

The loss of the Stats cubes is going to really problematic though, at the moment the only place that you can use PAE you are billed for on a RAM basis, yet you can't tell how big your cubes are anywhere?
AsciiOutput - is still very much there. v12 gives us a "files" root directory which is the cd from the perspective of AsciiOutput or file datasource for any TI processes.
SwapAliasWithPrincipalName - is a bit of a pain but I can well understand that with horizontal scaling this simply does not fly, since any processes happen purely on the leader, the followers just read logs and replicate changes.
CreateHierarchyByAttribute - is not a loss. This was simply put nothing but demoware and as useless as the proverbal udders on a bull for anything serious. Replace it with a call to bedrock process that can do much more anyway.

Stats cubes not there is a significant issue. }StatsByCube is invaluable for figuring out which cubes should be optimized for dimension order, where there is potential overfeeding, etc. But the loss of }StatsByRule is perhaps an even greater issue as if rule optimization is required, this is an essential resource (and the information isn't available anywhere else.)

The loss of the Properties control cubes is also very significant, as there is now no way to read or write these properties internally within the model. Yes properties can be read and set externally via Rest API requests but this_is_just_not_the_same! If TI functions were introduced to do the equivalent job then I would have no issue at all with this, but as it is it is a severe defecit. (e.g. read the current assigned DimensionsortOrder, set/read names for named levels, set/read the default member, etc, etc.)
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

lotsaram wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:08 am
Steve Rowe wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:03 pm ...
The loss of the Properties control cubes is also very significant...
Wondering how VMT/VMM is handled and sort order on elements/components.