TI takes more time to complete on user sandbox than on Base

Kreddy
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2016

TI takes more time to complete on user sandbox than on Base

Post by Kreddy »

Hello All,

We are running allocation TI which uses Run process within main TI. TI runs very quickly on Base sandbox but when we try to execute the same on user created sandbox, it takes additional 3-4 mins to complete.

Is this normal? Or is there something which has to be done to keep the execution time consistent between sandbox and base.

Thanks
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: TI takes more time to complete on user sandbox than on Base

Post by declanr »

Hi,

Running a TI process against a sandbox shouldn't have significant differences to running against the base data - on the assumption that it's processing roughly the same data.

What is possibly happening here is that the particular sandbox being executed against has user inputs which result in a significantly larger datasource to be processed and/or the changes which mean a different route through the TI process is being taken more often (by this I mean IF/Conditional logic being triggered that would make recursive loops etc etc etc be executed.)

You could submit the sandbox prior to running the TI process and then run it against the base data and see if it still takes a long time. This would confirm that its not related to the use of sandboxes but instead the data & TI which is taking time... I would obviously recommend not doing this in a production environment.

Also worth checking with additional sandboxes that you create from the base and make very small changes to before running the TI - if you can confirm that the same TI processing the same (roughly the same) data takes significantly longer in a sandbox then I think that would warrant being something you could log with IBM as an incident to be investigated.
Declan Rodger
Kreddy
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2016

Re: TI takes more time to complete on user sandbox than on Base

Post by Kreddy »

Hi Declan,

Thanks for the reply.

I agree with you point of view, but we have a scenario where the data shouldn't be committed to Base. These are mostly simulations for users to experiment on.

But with the current tests i have performed, i have modified only one cell value even which resulted in such huge differences in timings.

But I can try a workaround to create a replica cube and work there on base with these scenarios.

Regards,
Kousalya