Transaction Log Duration

Andero
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 10.2.2 - PA 2.0.79
Excel Version: Excel 365 64bit

Transaction Log Duration

Post by Andero »

Hi everyone,

Sorry but I couldn't find another post related to this.
I've been asked by a client to increase the transaction log duration.
At the moment it seems that it keeps track for the last 2 weeks and I need to increase it to 30 days.

Is it possible to change it? If Yes, do you know which parameter should I change?

Thanks in advance
ascheevel
Community Contributor
Version: PA 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 365

Re: Transaction Log Duration

Post by ascheevel »

No parameter for transaction log retention. If you're only seeing 2 weeks of transaction logs, there must be a utility running that's deleting tm1s<datetimestamp>.log files older than a certain time. Theoretically, the transaction log could go as far back as you have saved tm1s log files.

You could search the chores on the tm1 model to see if there's any calling a "cleanup logs" type process or search TI processes that have ExecuteCommand somewhere in the TI and see if it's either calling an exe, batch file, or compiling the command to delete those transaction log files. The sort of command, assuming a windows box, to clear out specific files might be using a "ForFiles" command.

Since we're curious folk, please report back on where you end up finding the culprit.
Andero
Version: TM1 10.2.2 - PA 2.0.79
Excel Version: Excel 365 64bit

Post by Andero »

Hi!

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed I have a nightly chore that cleans the logs older than 2 weeks.. I completely forgot about that.
I will increase it to one month so everything should go fine.

Thanks!

Andrea
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Transaction Log Durations

Post by Wim Gielis »

ascheevel wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:11 pm No parameter for transaction log retention. If you're only seeing 2 weeks of transaction logs, there must be a utility running that's deleting tm1s<datetimestamp>.log files older than a certain time. Theoretically, the transaction log could go as far back as you have saved tm1s log files.

You could search the chores on the tm1 model to see if there's any calling a "cleanup logs" type process or search TI processes that have ExecuteCommand somewhere in the TI and see if it's either calling an exe, batch file, or compiling the command to delete those transaction log files. The sort of command, assuming a windows box, to clear out specific files might be using a "ForFiles" command.

Since we're curious folk, please report back on where you end up finding the culprit.
Or the AsciiDelete function in TI without external commands.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
shahhere
OLAP Product: IBM PA
Version: 2.0.9.12
Excel Version: O365

Post by shahhere »

Andero wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:14 pm Hi!

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed I have a nightly chore that cleans the logs older than 2 weeks.. I completely forgot about that.
I will increase it to one month so everything should go fine.

Thanks!

Andrea
The log files can be a bit large but once zipped they are not that large. We actually zip the files along with other nightly zips of the Data/Reports/Logs and then delete the logs....its a good idea to keep the zipped up version of the model for 30/60/90 etc.

Shahhere