Data Spread Failed For Some Users With Access

kenship
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.7
Excel Version: 2010

Data Spread Failed For Some Users With Access

Post by kenship »

I have searched for Data Spread Failed but no luck.

I have a few users in the same user group reporting the same issue. Out of a sudden they received a Data Spread Failed error when pressing F9 to register a change in cells which they have full access and have been making changes for years. Below are relevant information:

1. Only happens to a few users but not all users in the same user group
2. These few users are long-time users and have been making changes in the same cells
3. These users have no profile change for years

The only solution I found is to delete these users in Architect/Perspectives by Server->"Security" -> "Clients/Groups" then Delete Client. However, the same problem shows up 2 weeks later.

I wonder if anyone has the same problem.

Kenneth
burnstripe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Data Spread Failed For Some Users With Access

Post by burnstripe »

Hi Kenneth,

Have you noticed any other behaviour that is occurring every two weeks that may coincide. Perhaps a chore being run that updates security or the tm1 service being restarted.

When the service is stopped are there duplicate files of the same object eg.
Cube name.cub
Cube name.cub$
Cube name.cub$$$

Is capability assignment "allow spreading" set to grant for all user groups that user is part off?
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking what you are thinking too, which is whether there's any specific occurrence that coincides but couldn't find any. The fact that the problem didn't happen to everyone in the group but only a few makes it very difficult to diagnose.

For "Allow Spreading" in "}Capabilities" cube we don't impose anything to it at all. We never have to do anything about it since 10 years ago.

I wonder if Excel has anything to do with it because our users are using Perspectives.

Kenneth

burnstripe wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:33 pm Hi Kenneth,

Have you noticed any other behaviour that is occurring every two weeks that may coincide. Perhaps a chore being run that updates security or the tm1 service being restarted.

When the service is stopped are there duplicate files of the same object eg.
Cube name.cub
Cube name.cub$
Cube name.cub$$$

Is capability assignment "allow spreading" set to grant for all user groups that user is part off?
burnstripe
Regular Participant

Post by burnstripe »

Is it when updating a cell within the excel sheet or when updating a value directly in the cube viewer.

Does the same behaviour occur if the users accessed the workbook through tm1web or just in excel
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

1/ When the users are facing the issue - can they not do ANY data spreading or can they only not do it in certain cubes / cube intersections?
2/ When the users are facing the issue - have you tested performing the exact same spread with another account that has the "same" access - and was it successful?

If both 1 & 2 are true, then based on what you have said it would indicate that the users are periodically doing something to restrict themselves (or potentially each other) - I would look at whether they have accidentally applied holds or data reservations on underlying cells.
Declan Rodger
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

The same users have input (the error message says data spread but they weren't doing any data spread, only input) issues as well in other cubes and intersection that they were able to perform since inception.

Other user in the same group was able to do so in the same cube and intersection.

Haven't thought about whether users accidentally placed a hold and therefore incurred the issue. Interesting though.

Thanks!
declanr wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:12 pm 1/ When the users are facing the issue - can they not do ANY data spreading or can they only not do it in certain cubes / cube intersections?
2/ When the users are facing the issue - have you tested performing the exact same spread with another account that has the "same" access - and was it successful?

If both 1 & 2 are true, then based on what you have said it would indicate that the users are periodically doing something to restrict themselves (or potentially each other) - I would look at whether they have accidentally applied holds or data reservations on underlying cells.
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

Not in TM1Web nor Excel workbook. Input only performed directly in cube.

Thanks!
burnstripe wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:24 pm Is it when updating a cell within the excel sheet or when updating a value directly in the cube viewer.

Does the same behaviour occur if the users accessed the workbook through tm1web or just in excel
burnstripe
Regular Participant

Post by burnstripe »

When the lock occurs have you tried another user who is a member of the exact same groups and are they still able to update? Aka not just sharing the one group in question but all groups.

Anything different populated in the} client properties cube for the user, if ReadOnlyUser is set that could prevent write access.

Is the user locked from making changes to 1 cube or all cubes?

It's definitely worth considering my earlier comment

"When the service is stopped are there duplicate files of the same object eg.
Cube name.cub
Cube name.cub$
Cube name.cub$$$"

Is any of this occurring
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

Thks for considering all possibilities.

ReadOnlyUser - never

Lock - none (user of the same group has been doing input almost daily for years)

Users of the same group have been able to input while a few individuals couldn't (until their client account was deleted and they log in)

Temp cube - none found

Kenneth
burnstripe wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:32 pm When the lock occurs have you tried another user who is a member of the exact same groups and are they still able to update? Aka not just sharing the one group in question but all groups.

Anything different populated in the} client properties cube for the user, if ReadOnlyUser is set that could prevent write access.

Is the user locked from making changes to 1 cube or all cubes?

It's definitely worth considering my earlier comment

"When the service is stopped are there duplicate files of the same object eg.
Cube name.cub
Cube name.cub$
Cube name.cub$$$"

Is any of this occurring