Connecting to TM1 server using Global IP address?

show75
OLAP Product: oracle and sql server
Version: TM1 9
Excel Version: 2013

Connecting to TM1 server using Global IP address?

Post by show75 »

Is there way to connect to TM1 Server using Global IP address
I am using TM1 9.4 and I install it on Cloud is there any way to connect to the server with another machine using Global IP address or any other way rather than using VPN or Remote?
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Connecting to TM1 server using Global IP address?

Post by declanr »

Theoretically, with the ports open it should be possible.
However, it would very likely be so slow that it would not be at all useable. The old clients (Architect & Perspectives) are EXTREMELY chatty over a network which is why Citrix, VPN etc was always the norm.
If you try using them over a WAN - you are in for a lot of headaches and spinning egg timers.

This is why Cloud customers now can use the newer client (PAX) that is more optimised directly on their machines but if you want to use Architect/Perspectives you would remote over to a server or virtual desktop with close proximity to the server.

And on 9.4 you will only have the older clients as an option, so if an upgrade to a newer version is not possible and cloud hosting is a must - I would strongly recommend a virtual desktop etc. for clients. You can get customers to connect directly to TM1Web (since its a thin client all the real work is done on the server) - but from memory, TM1 Web wasn't very useable itself until around 9.5.2 IMHO.
Declan Rodger
show75
OLAP Product: oracle and sql server
Version: TM1 9
Excel Version: 2013

Re: Connecting to TM1 server using Global IP address?

Post by show75 »

Appreciate your recommendations
Thank you very much