Process Fails with error "Could not initialize process"

Paul-TM1
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Process Fails with error "Could not initialize process"

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Hi All,
I have a TI (TI1) Process that calls another TI2 process in the Epilog. TI1 works fine when I run it from Architect.
When I run this from contributor , TI1 fails with error "Could not initialize process". If I comment the TI2 process in the epilog, TI1 runs fine.

Can someone please help me with this issue? We are are PA2 version: 2.0.9.5 and please let me know if there are any questions.

Thanks,
Paul.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Process Fails with error "Could not initialize process"

Post by Alan Kirk »

Paul-TM1 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:14 pm Hi All,
I have a TI (TI1) Process that calls another TI2 process in the Epilog. TI1 works fine when I run it from Architect.
When I run this from contributor , TI1 fails with error "Could not initialize process". If I comment the TI2 process in the epilog, TI1 runs fine.
The overwhelming majority of the time, that error is associated with calling the second process with an invalid or misspelt parameter, or the process name itself is misspelt in the execute statement.

The Tm1server.log should give you the specifics
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Check the case you are using as Contributor implies Java which likely going to be case-sensitive.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

gtonkin wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:06 am Check the case you are using as Contributor implies Java which likely going to be case-sensitive.
Yabbut... an ExecuteProcess call from one process to another will be entirely on the back end. Contributor calls TI1, then T11 calls TI2. The UI in the first step shouldn't play a part in the second of these steps, which is where the failure is. (Unless the process name itself is being passed through from the UI but that would, to put it mildly, be an undesirable design choice IMHO.)

But of course, if the TM1 server is running on Linux rather than Windows... case may indeed be an issue. That, I'm not 100% sure about. (But IIRC, it's why the Bedrock library process names were changed.)
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Could be, could be and could be. My comment was also before coffee but let's see what the OP comes back with on what is in the server log.
Could also be that somehow the necessary parameters are not being sent when called from Contributor.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

gtonkin wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:01 am Could be, could be and could be. My comment was also before coffee but let's see what the OP comes back with on what is in the server log.
Agreed.
gtonkin wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:01 am Could also be that somehow the necessary parameters are not being sent when called from Contributor.
That shouldn't cause this specific error. In my experience all parameters are the equivalent of "Optional". Sometimes it would be nice to make a parameter "required", but in my experience you still need to validate the content anyway. (Unless one likes living life sailing over a sea of razor blades.) Failing to send a parameter may well blow up some of the code in the 4 tabs (depending on what you try to do with said parameter), but it doesn't prevent initialisation.

TI doesn't care if you don't send them at all, just if you send the wrong ones or send a text value to a numeric parameter. Actually, I THOUGHT that last one just generated a "Cannot convert to Real" error but hey guess what, I misremembered... that too will generate a "Could not initialize process" error. Again, the specific details will be in the server log.
-----------