Mark2007
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA 2
Excel Version: office 365

Prevent Data Spread for ADMIN

Post by Mark2007 »

Hi there,

I'm facing the following problem:
in my Web-application, Users enter planning data for the total year (C-Element) and TM1 spreads them automatically to the 12 months below (the months are already populated before, so the system does a proportional spread) - that works fine.

During the planning process, Actual-months come up, so we replace the planned Jan-data by the real (actual) Data for Jan. Security is set to "READ" for Jan and if the Users enter Yearly figures now, TM1 still does the proportional spread, but keeps Jan constant - that's great.

The only Problem: If an ADMIN enters data to "Total Year", this is still spread to all 12 month, even Jan is changed, as ADMINs have WRITE everywhere.

Do you have a problem to prevent ADMINS from Data-Spread to the "closed" months?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Emixam
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Prevent Data Spread for ADMIN

Post by Emixam »

Hi Mark,

We had a similar issue and we decided to use the }Capabilities cube. Not sure if it will work for Admin

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/planning-an ... ssignments

Take a look at Allow Spreading.

Also, not sure what you mean by "Web-application". Are you talking about TM1 Web Cube View, Perspective/Pax, Workspace, TM1 Application ?

Let me know if it works
burnstripe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9

Post by burnstripe »

You can lock an element by going into the subset editor (legacy subset editor) and right clicking on an element and select security>lock. This will prevent admins from writing to the element but it would apply to all cubes.

Probably your best option, you could use rules to prevent access. For the Planning version, bring in actuals via a rule, then if the user tries to spread to the months containing actuals they can't, and if the user spreads to all months (consolidation) then the spread value will be split amongst the months that are available.
orlando
Community Contributor
Version: PAL 2.0.8
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by orlando »

Hi,

in my opinion, you have two options.
- The users with admin rights need a second user (without admin rights) that is used for planning,
- You put the actual data on a separate data type and make a rule that writes the data of the actual months to the plan.
As an example (if you only have one plan year at the monthly level)
The months get the attribute (number) isActual
In the rule you now query the attribute.

['Plan'] = if('}ElementAttributes_Month', !Month, 'isActual') = 1, ['Actual'], continue);

Whether the rule is sufficient depends on the data model. The feeder then also depends on the final rule.

Many greetings
orlando
Mark2007

Post by Mark2007 »

Emixam wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:15 pm Hi Mark,

We had a similar issue and we decided to use the }Capabilities cube. Not sure if it will work for Admin

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/planning-an ... ssignments

Take a look at Allow Spreading.

Also, not sure what you mean by "Web-application". Are you talking about TM1 Web Cube View, Perspective/Pax, Workspace, TM1 Application ?

Let me know if it works
Thanks for your quick response! With "Web Application" I mean a sheet (Application) in TM1Web.
I studied your reference to the manual. But as I do not want to disable the ADMIN from spreading in general, but only from prevent some of the months from being changed, I think the capabilities-cube will not work.
Mark2007

Post by Mark2007 »

burnstripe wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:58 pm You can lock an element by going into the subset editor (legacy subset editor) and right clicking on an element and select security>lock. This will prevent admins from writing to the element but it would apply to all cubes.
Thanks for the good idea! I did not think about "lock" (or "reserve") - but I checked the security: Members of ADMIN-Group do automatically always have ADMIN-rights to all Dimensions and Elements and this cannot be changed.
burnstripe wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:58 pm Probably your best option, you could use rules to prevent access. For the Planning version, bring in actuals via a rule, then if the user tries to spread to the months containing actuals they can't, and if the user spreads to all months (consolidation) then the spread value will be split amongst the months that are available.
This will be the safest way in the long run. As I'll have to change the modell, I'll discuss this with the customer. Probably, I'll take the suggestion of Orlando (next post) and offer a second user to the ADMIN
Mark2007

Post by Mark2007 »

Many, many thanks for your ideas! and many thanks for the speed you wrote back! The easiest way will be a second user for the Administrator. I'll discuss the solution with the planning department.

Regards

Mark
orlando
Community Contributor
Version: PAL 2.0.8
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by orlando »

Mark2007 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:15 am Many, many thanks for your ideas! and many thanks for the speed you wrote back! The easiest way will be a second user for the Administrator. I'll discuss the solution with the planning department.

Regards

Mark
The easiest way may be the second account, but the solution via the rules is more sustainable.
I would use the rules, even if the model then has to be modified.

Best regards,
orlando
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Thanks for the good idea! I did not think about "lock" (or "reserve") - but I checked the security: Members of ADMIN-Group do automatically always have ADMIN-rights to all Dimensions and Elements and this cannot be changed.
Setting to LOCK will also stop admins from changing the data, it is a stricter level than READ / WRITE.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Mark2007

Post by Mark2007 »

Steve Rowe wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:58 am
Setting to LOCK will also stop admins from changing the data, it is a stricter level than READ / WRITE.
But I did not manage to change security settings (Element Security) for the ADMIN-Group. Or do I miss something? By default, it's all "ADMIN" if I have a look to dimension security (Right click on Dimension => Security => ElementSecurity)
or it's an empty cell when I have a look in the cube }ElementSecurity_DimName, but when I enter something in cell }Groups:ADMIN / Element xyz, than TM1 replies: "not a number: LOCK"
:-(
burnstripe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9

Post by burnstripe »

The lock on an element is applied/stored within elementproperties not elementsecurity.

This article explains it well...
https://cubewise.com/blog/things-might- ... ty-part-2/
Mark2007

Post by Mark2007 »

Thanks for this explanation - it's gonna work! Great!

the more as the LOCK can be sent via TI:
https://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=588
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

If you are going to use locking extensively and are combining that with TIs then you are probably also going to want to use CubeLockOverride(), a lightly documented TI function.
To turn all locking off in the whole DB use CubeLockOverride(1); To turn it back on again use CubeLockOverride(0);

Turning it back on again is somewhat redundant as it turns back on as if by magic when the TI finishes but its as well to us it to keep things tidy (and in case the magic ever stops happening....)

Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk