JAVA Extension

yyround
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.8
Excel Version: MS 2016

JAVA Extension

Post by yyround »

Hi,

I followed the steps in this link to explore java extension. https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... ions.html

when I tried to resart the server, i received "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly" and service failed to restart. However Removing the newly created java extensions file will resolve it, do you know why? I noticed that uner the same location of my javeextensions.policy file, there is another one called "javeextensions1.policy", does it matter?

Regards
YY
EvgenyT
Community Contributor
Version: PAL 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2016

Re: JAVA Extension

Post by EvgenyT »

Hi Mate,

As far as I know this has been depreciated in PA.
Based on your profile you are on 10.2.2, but given its going out of support in the near future, I would not be investing my time into Java Extensions.
Rest API is the way forward. There are open-source Python wrappers available online that leverage Rest API. Python has a great library of statistical, financial functions etc, I assume that's what you are after.

Regards,

Evgeny
yyround
Version: PA2.0.8
Excel Version: MS 2016

Post by yyround »

Thanks EvgenT,

The problem is we are not going to move to PA anytime soon and we need to deliver something within a few months that requires the statistical ad finacial functions.

Also we are not familar with Python but used Java before so thought we will give it a try.

Regards
Y
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

You are in luck then - the REST API has been around since 10.2.something. I suggest you look at TM1PY as a well supported and functional Python library for TM1.
Drg
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10.2.0 - 10.3.0
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Drg »

EvgenyT wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:05 pm Hi Mate,

As far as I know this has been depreciated in PA.
Based on your profile you are on 10.2.2, but given its going out of support in the near future, I would not be investing my time into Java Extensions.
Rest API is the way forward. There are open-source Python wrappers available online that leverage Rest API. Python has a great library of statistical, financial functions etc, I assume that's what you are after.

Regards,

Evgeny
Where did you get this information?
Java Extension work in PA
Yes, they do not expand more as the Architect, Perfomance Modeller, cpp api, and other. But all this products still work.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

From what I can see there were deprecation notices issued for the JavaTI extensions but they have disappeared:
Deprecation of Java TI (local only) - IBM
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... _depn.html
Local only IBM Planning Analytics Local 2.0.6 is the last release with support for Java TI.
But the link fails:
The requested resource is not found: /support/knowledgecenter/SSD29G_2.0.0/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.tm1_cloud_mg.2.0.0.doc/pa_nf_javati_depn.html
macsir
MVP
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by macsir »

Actually, the latest note is here https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/depre ... alytics-20
Java TI support
Java TI remains supported in Planning Analytics version 2.0.7. However, the use of Java TI is discouraged in cases where it is not required.
IBM supports only the version of Java that is shipped with the current version of TM1 Server and Planning Analytics.
For Planning Analytics 2.0.5 and earlier, this means IBM Java 7. For Planning Analytics 2.0.6 and later, this means IBM Java 8.
Java TI will not be enhanced to support any TI functions added in Planning Analytics 2.0 and higher. No enhancement requests specific to Java TI functionality will be implemented.
From my understanding, you still can use Java TI if you want but IBM only supports the Java with PA and stopped any further enhancement on that.
I found the biggest advantage of Java extension vs TM1py is that, extension can be bundled and called in native TI processes together and return a precise value you designed in your Java extension (EXECUTEJAVAN or S), which is quite convenient. TM1py is more used in Python scripts. They are not conflicted to each other but can be used in different scenarios. Here is a good example from Yuri. A big shoutout to him!https://www.ykud.com/blog/cognos/tm1-co ... -and-more/ I borrowed experience from it and used in my TI application to interact with CAM security.
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
orlando
Community Contributor
Version: PAL 2.0.8

Post by orlando »

Drg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:14 am

Where did you get this information?
Java Extension work in PA
Yes, they do not expand more as the Architect, Perfomance Modeller, cpp api, and other. But all this products still work.
Hi,

this was one of the statements made by IBM TM1 product management at the Planning Analytics TM1 User Day 2019 in Ehningen.

Best regards,
orlando
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Not that you guys aren't raising valid points... but you do realise that you're replying to a thread that is one and a half years old and to members who haven't logged on for about 4 months? Unlike some unnamed sites, we don't have any rules about "necro"ing old threads... but I'm not sure that these posts are hitting the original targets.

My own take on this is that along with the original C/VB API and the short lived .Net API, any further development in Java (as integrated with TM1) would be an evolutionary dead end and therefore ultimately wasted effort.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
macsir
MVP
Version: PAL 2.0.9

Post by macsir »

Hi, Alan
Yes, I totally understand. However, at least the Java extension works beautifully for me at the moment and I can't find other better way to replace it. Python is hot nowadays but who knows the future? Maybe golang becomes the next candidate when IBM releases the next generation of TM1 server. :)
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/