Server crash after data entry

gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Server crash after data entry

Post by gtonkin »

After almost 12 hours of looking for logic, I am going to look for assistance.

Server running on 10.2.2 base (corporate environment, upgrade to FP4 been pending for months)
The cube has 11 dimensions and various rules, feeders etc. as you would expect

If I navigate to a leaf area and type in a value - server crashes - client gets a connection error.
No information in the TM1Server.log
Configures tm1s-log.properties and set to DEBUG - reams of infor, server ready, then nothing further.

Crash happens if you dirty the cube via Perspectives, Architect or Web
A data spread however seems to be fine-repating or clearing.
Nothing in TM1S.Log either after crash. The cube is flagged to log and does log the data spreads and clears.

I deleted, recreated the cube, added the rules back on uploaded the data from an extract on the dev box - all seems fine. Copied the cube back to UAT, deleted all.feeders, restarted, entered a value - bang!

Any ideas besides going to FP4 which seems to work on local dev box?
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Re: Server crash after data entry

Post by Edward Stuart »

I've had a similar issue which turned out to be a corrupt attribute, have you recreated the elements? Are you seeing issues with other cubes?
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Thanks for the input Edward. Other cubes are fine. All but 3 dimensions are shared so going to start by deleting the attributes from the non-shared dims first.
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Stopped server, Deleted the }ElementAttributes cubes, restarted server, added data to cube - "Data spread failed" then "(SystemServerConnectionInvalid) : Server connection error - server dead!
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Have deleted the cube, recreated on the server where it was an issue, restored data, rules, views etc.
For now, all seems fine.
What I am wondering now is if by deleting the cube on the "defective" system, the relevant control cubes and possibly logs were updated/aligned correctly.
The only thing that comes to mind now is that I had not removed all the logs but had made sure that before restoring the cube each time, the server had been started and stopped normally.
Any other ideas as to what to check-concerned that this could just happend again so do not want to assume fixed. Thanks for any ideas.
Duncan P
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by Duncan P »

No idea if this is still the case but at one time if you had a circular reference that was enabled conditional on some data entry, and if the circularity involved multiple cubes then the server didn't detect it and blew up with stack full.

As I said I have no idea if this is still the case.
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Duncan P wrote:... if you had a circular reference that was enabled conditional on some data entry, and if the circularity involved multiple cubes then the server didn't detect it and blew up with stack full.
Thanks Duncan - I definitely had a case where something like this happened:
Entry for Attrition %, Attrition calculated based on Average Balance, Average balance calculated as (Opening Balance + Closing Balance)/2
Closing Balance is a rollup of Opening Balance, New Sales, Attrition. Circular reference!

These however are all in the same cube but the stack definitely blew-numerous error messages in the logs.
I guess the question then is, what did you do to resolve after having it blow up? I fixed the rule, exported and recreated the cube then imported again. For now, touch wood, all is fine.
EvgenyT
Community Contributor
Version: PAL 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2016

Post by EvgenyT »

Entry for Attrition %, Attrition calculated based on Average Balance, Average balance calculated as (Opening Balance + Closing Balance)/2
Sorry, I may not all the specific here, but why do you need to calculate Avg Balance with the rule? Cant you just use weighting to get your avg balance: avg: opening + 0.5 / closing 0.5

Regards
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

EvgenyT wrote:... Cant you just use weighting to get your avg balance: avg: opening + 0.5 / closing 0.5 ...
I have some N level rules to do currency translations across 12 currencies and have opted for rule derived rather than using consolidations at this stage.
Thanks however for the suggestion.