TM1 Rep and Sync

mberson
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2016

TM1 Rep and Sync

Post by mberson »

All,

I haven't used TM1 Rep and Sync since version 9.5.1 and my experiences were very unfavorable; we needed to move away from it for various reasons; most significantly inexplicable data loss.

One of my clients is exploring this option and I've advised them to stay clear of it; however, I wanted to throw it out on the forum to see if anyone has had good or bad experiences in the 10.x versions.

Looking forward to the feedback.
Matthew Berson
ACG TM1 Consulting
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: TM1 Rep and Sync

Post by David Usherwood »

Rep and sync hasn't changed for years and no, it's not really usable - relies on the log files, no selectivity, etc etc. I have seen rumours of a replacement - see http://ykud.com/blog/ibm/insight-2015-recap
TJMurphy
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.6 Local
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by TJMurphy »

We're using it successfully and have been since 9.5.1 and now on 10.2.2 FP2.

However, we've a simple system, all data goes into one box and is synched to the other one which is to all intents and purposes a read-only site in another territory. It gives us a (warm) backup and speeds up access for the other users. It synchs every 6 hours.

Only issues we have are with users using wifi to enter data. We think we're getting micro-drops on the wifi networks and somehow stuff gets missed out of logs. The only gaps we've ever seen are consistent with this and we've banned people* entering / loading data while on a wifi link. I appreciate this may mean we're very much the exception to have this working rather than the rule!

Tony

* Very limited number of people entering data and all office based so not too much of a chore.
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

TJMurphy wrote:We're using it successfully and have been since 9.5.1 and now on 10.2.2 FP2.

[...]

Only issues we have are with users using wifi to enter data. We think we're getting micro-drops on the wifi networks and somehow stuff gets missed out of logs. The only gaps we've ever seen are consistent with this and we've banned people* entering / loading data while on a wifi link.
You need to move to 10.2.2 FP4 ASAP. There is a serious bug fixed there that affects logging and the bug is particularly exposed by replication. I think wifi might be a red herring as that would be unrelated to logging/replication.

We have four planets with a subset (individual country) of data on each, and we replicate hourly. I would periodically have users report an issue where they would notice that centrally-generated reports did not match what they had loaded in their planet. Sure enough, the servers had become desynchronized, but all logs were error free, showed syncs happening, etc. I started writing checkvalues to a watchdog cube, and set up an email alert to keep an eye on things-- was getting errors (where sync appeared to have completed correctly but servers did not match) on at least one server per day. I installed FP4 the day it came out (support hoped it would fix the issue), and I haven't had an issue since.

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
TJMurphy
Version: PA 2.0.6 Local
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by TJMurphy »

Thanks for the push to FP4. We'd been sitting on it but have actually just scheduled it for this week now.

Have not been having the problems with FP2 anyway to be honest - fingers crossed for it's last week!
mberson
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2016

Post by mberson »

Thanks all for the feedback.

I've talked to IBM about the replacement, but they were non-committal on any dates. We did discuss custom solutions using OData / Rest API that are fairly straight forward, but I'm trying to avoid further customization if I can.
Matthew Berson
ACG TM1 Consulting