Admin Host Defaults for TM1 Web

APGwynn
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP2
Excel Version: 2010

Admin Host Defaults for TM1 Web

Post by APGwynn »

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding setting the AdminHost in the TM1Web_Config.xml file.

I know that once you set a value for this and go to tm1web, the adminhost is automatically chosen for the login screen so the user doesn't need to enter it.

My questions pertain to environments where there are two admin hosts using the same applications server (so one can log in to tm1 web for 'adminhost1' and 'adminhost2' using the same tm1web url)

1) how would you go about changing the admin host if one is already set in the config file? meaning, 'adminhost1' is already chosen for the convenience of most users but I as an admin would like to switch tm1web to connect to 'adminhost2'?

2) can you set the parameter in tm1web_config.xml to list two admin hosts? so people can choose from a dropdown menu?

Thanks.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Admin Host Defaults for TM1 Web

Post by jim wood »

I take it you didn't check out the admin guide? If memory serves this is pretty well covered there,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
APGwynn

Post by APGwynn »

jim wood wrote:I take it you didn't check out the admin guide? If memory serves this is pretty well covered there,

Jim.

I did. My question isn't answered there.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

APGwynn wrote:
jim wood wrote:I take it you didn't check out the admin guide? If memory serves this is pretty well covered there,

Jim.

I did. My question isn't answered there.
Quite so; the Operations Guide is disconcertingly quiet on this point:
AdminHostName Parameter

This parameter specifies the name of the Admin Host on which a TM1 Admin Server is running. Edit the AdminHostName parameter in the tm1web_config.xml file using the following format:

<add key="AdminHostName" value="HostName"/>

where HostName can be one of the following values:

If HostName is blank (default value), then the login page displays the Admin Host prompt.
If HostName is set to the name of a valid TM1 Admin Host, then IBM Cognos TM1 Web uses that Admin Host for the login process and does not prompt the user.
Unfortunately I don't have a 10.2.2 (Apache) server available to check at the moment, but from past experience:
APGwynn wrote:1) how would you go about changing the admin host if one is already set in the config file? meaning, 'adminhost1' is already chosen for the convenience of most users but I as an admin would like to switch tm1web to connect to 'adminhost2'?
I'm 99.9 to infinity percent sure that you won't be able to do that. The first thing that the Admin Server does is to deliver the list of servers to populate the drop-down to select the server that you want to log into. Accordingly web needs to know the admin host from the outset. The only way of changing it is if you have the field to specify the Admin Host visible on the login page, and the only way you get that is if you haven't configured it in the config file. So I'd suggest regarding that option as dead.
APGwynn wrote:2) can you set the parameter in tm1web_config.xml to list two admin hosts? so people can choose from a dropdown menu?
If I had a session available I'd try this, but since I don't you'll have to on your dev instance if you want to; have you tried setting the HostName value as a semi-colon or comma delimited list? If this is possible at all, and if there is any consistency to TM1's behaviour (stop laughing) that would be most likely the way to do it; the same way that you do it in the Options dialog in Perspectives.

Another option to consider; if the servers which are registered with both admin hosts have different names you probably don't need two admin servers; just register all of them with the one admin server. (Though if I had to guess one is your prod list and one is your dev list and they DO have the same names. In which case that idea would be of no value.)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

From Page 75 of the TM1 Web Admin Guide:

AdminHostName Parameter
This parameter specifies the name of the Admin Host on which a TM1 Admin Server is running. Edit the AdminHostName parameter in the tm1web_config.xml file
using the following format:
If HostName is blank (default value), then the login page displays the Admin Host prompt.
If HostName is set to the name of a valid TM1 Admin Host, then IBM Cognos TM1 Web uses that Admin Host for the login process and does not prompt the
user.
You just have one <add key> line for each Admin Host you want to use. Granted it isn't spelled out EXACTLY but on the other hand it's not that hard to infer.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

tomok wrote:From Page 75 of the TM1 Web Admin Guide:

AdminHostName Parameter
This parameter specifies the name of the Admin Host on which a TM1 Admin Server is running. Edit the AdminHostName parameter in the tm1web_config.xml file
If HostName is set to the name of a valid TM1 Admin Host, then IBM Cognos TM1 Web uses that Admin Host for the login process and does not prompt the
user.
You just have one <add key> line for each Admin Host you want to use. Granted it isn't spelled out EXACTLY but on the other hand it's not that hard to infer.
I'm glad that you added some valuable information along with the unnecessary dig at the end, thanks for that.

In many systems a key holds one or more values for a specific purpose, values are what get stored IN a key. So to add multiple keys rather than multiple values to store values for the same purpose... maybe not THAT obvious to everyone.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
APGwynn

Post by APGwynn »

tomok wrote:From Page 75 of the TM1 Web Admin Guide:

AdminHostName Parameter
user.
Gave this a try in the dev environment, inputted it as below:
<add key="AdminHostName" value="AdminHost1"/>
<add key="AdminHostName" value="AdminHost2"/>
It only seems to be picking up the second entry, i.e. the server list only populates with the servers on the second host.