Cognos TM1 10.2.2.1 Server Sizing

Hungrymyers
OLAP Product: None
Version: cognos TM1 10.2.2.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Cognos TM1 10.2.2.1 Server Sizing

Post by Hungrymyers »

Good afternoon ladies and gents,

I wonder if you can help me if at all possible, i have been asked to implement an infrastructure for Cognos TM1 10.2.2.1 environment,
however with having no cognos experience before, and the limited help from IBM's site i am turning to yourselves :)

I have been asked allocated the task of finding sufficient hardware to house the new environment, so in its entirety, What kind of load would a full cognos suite with approximately 100 users connecting to it require?

My plan is to Virtualise the environment with VMWare with 2 VM's.

1st VM with the Cognos suite
2nd VM with the terminal server which the 100 users would connect to and then run the reports etc using Excel & the web client i am led to believe.

Would this be something you can assist me with?

Any help would be appreciated,

Kind Regards,
Sean
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Cognos TM1 10.2.2.1 Server Sizing

Post by tomok »

No one can answer your question as it relates to RAM because it is going to be entirely dependent on how much data you have and what you plan on doing with it in TM1. As far as processors are concerned you could probably squeak by with a couple of quad-core processors for 100 users but if it were me I would opt for 4 quad processors for 100 people. If you have already purchased TM1 then this is a moot point. You don't get to just add however many processors you want to your environment, you are restricted to the number of processor licenses you paid IBM for.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Hungrymyers
OLAP Product: None
Version: cognos TM1 10.2.2.1

Post by Hungrymyers »

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your prompt response!, its muchly appreciated.

Ok thats great, need to bat the question back to them then by the sounds of it, Or they should be telling me what there TM1 will require then i can build accordingly.

Again many thanks for you help!

Kind Regards,
Sean
stephen waters
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10_2_2

Post by stephen waters »

Hungrymyers wrote:What kind of load would a full cognos suite with approximately 100 users connecting to it require?
...then run the reports etc using Excel & the web client i am led to believe.
Sean,
Just to be absolutely sure, when you say "full Cognos Suite" do you mean just the TM1 portion or do you include Cognos BI as well? Your later comments re running reports suggest just TM1 but you need to be sure.

Expanding on Tom's points you must find out whether TM1 will be used just for reporting or budgeting, complexity of calculations, frequency of input, volumes of data, etc etc. To be frank you need to find someone from the requesting organisation who knows TM1 and how they plan to use it.