Changing Element Weights in Dimension Editor

declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Changing Element Weights in Dimension Editor

Post by declanr »

I have managed to find another odd one tonight (something telling me I shouldn't work on a sunday evening perhaps?)

CX10.1 - In the dimension editor when selecting properties of an element that is the child of a consolidation; the element weight option is greyed out.
If I then click to turn on the properties window and go back to the child's properties I can now change the weight.

It could possibly be that this has always been the case and I just haven't noticed as it is very rare that I do any manual changes to a dimension instead of TI'ing it but seems a bit peculiar.

Before anyone suggests it... yes I did check that I hadn't selected the standard element instead of it's child form... I wasn't going to post on here without checking; as I manage to embarrass myself enough in day to day life without adding the forum to my list of embarrassment sources ;)
Declan Rodger
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Changing Element Weights in Dimension Editor

Post by Alan Kirk »

declanr wrote:I have managed to find another odd one tonight (something telling me I shouldn't work on a sunday evening perhaps?)
Always a bad practice. Though that having been said, I was working on a VB.Net app last night to load the server log files into an SQL Server database so that I can query more than one element at a time and filter out all of the "Change Set" cr@p. Not that there's much of it, oh no... in the second most recent one a "mere" 12,404 rows out of 469,612. :roll: However I was fortunate enough to finish it before dinner so I set it to load up the whole of the log file set from the budgeting server (hour and a half, give or take), whacked some veal schnitzel into the frypan and an NCIS DVD into the player, and was content that not all of my Sunday evening was spent on TM1. But I digress.
declanr wrote:CX10.1 - In the dimension editor when selecting properties of an element that is the child of a consolidation; the element weight option is greyed out.
If I then click to turn on the properties window and go back to the child's properties I can now change the weight.

It could possibly be that this has always been the case and I just haven't noticed as it is very rare that I do any manual changes to a dimension instead of TI'ing it but seems a bit peculiar.
Same thing in 9.5.2, as it happens. I've probably never noticed it because I avoid the Dimension Editor whenever possible, and when I am in there I almost always have the Properties pane open anyway. Looks like a bug, but there are worse ones around.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
amin
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by amin »

Hi - Without turning the Properties Pane On, merely selecting the Element Name from the Dimension Element Properties window will make the weighting field active. Might be worth trying doing that..Cheers.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

amin wrote:Hi - Without turning the Properties Pane On, merely selecting the Element Name from the Dimension Element Properties window will make the weighting field active. Might be worth trying doing that..Cheers.
Agreed; same in 9.5.2. Also if you select multiple elements rather than a single element, the first one will be selected with its weighting textbox enabled.

The misleading thing is that no matter how you select - properties pane on or off, single or multiple elements - the visual cue is always the same. The first element appears to be highlighted, even if it's not "really" selected. As per the post above, when it's a single element you need to manually select it, when either the properties pane is on or multiple elements are selected then that happens automatically.

It's an irritation more than a disaster.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

amin wrote:Hi - Without turning the Properties Pane On, merely selecting the Element Name from the Dimension Element Properties window will make the weighting field active. Might be worth trying doing that..Cheers.
Hello sorry for the delay and you are correct that clicking the element does the trick to. I just thought it was unusual that it automatically defaults to knowing what element you want when the properties pane is on but then doesn't do the same when it's off. Sort of worries me as to what else is going on in the background when you have the properties pane turned on, something I only have turned off if I'm dealing with a big dimension with lots of attributes (due to the performance kill it causes.)
Declan Rodger