That didn't last long :)
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Downloading IBM Cognos TM1 10.1.0

Post by lotsaram »

Yeah. (and for once an IBM link that seemed complete and well documented ...)

I went to PA as soon as I saw Kavee's post but still just 9.5.2 and no 10.1. Not sure how it is for you guys in partner land but in customer land it seems like March 7 is the firm global launch date.
jameswebber
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos Express 10
Version: CE 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by jameswebber »

marco
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2

Post by marco »

It is available in the IBM Software Access Catalog!
RLReyes
Version: 10.1.1

Post by RLReyes »

- TITLE: Cognos TM1 version 10.1 product documentation
- URL: http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss? ... RXT&mync=E
- ABSTRACT: This techdoc contains links to all of the product documentation in PDF format. If you have trouble opening a file, right-click the PDF icon and select "download" from the list. This will copy the file to your local machine and then you should be able to open it.
- Rod

TM1 Version: 10.1.1
Excel: 2010
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

The eAssembly tips the scales at over 15GB. WTF? They have a dedicated client installer now (finally! or so it seems from the name....) but it's still over 1GB! For an Excel add-in! BTW, every time I have to deal with Passport Advantage I'm driven to near-rage levels of frustration. Even finding it is a chore on the IBM site, 90% of my searches end up on broken links.

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

mattgoff wrote:The eAssembly tips the scales at over 15GB. WTF? They have a dedicated client installer now (finally! or so it seems from the name....) but it's still over 1GB! For an Excel add-in! BTW, every time I have to deal with Passport Advantage I'm driven to near-rage levels of frustration.
Sing it, brother. I especially love the Download Director which has never, not once, worked for me.
mattgoff wrote:Even finding it is a chore on the IBM site, 90% of my searches end up on broken links.
Including at least four on the documentation page. (Most importantly, the installation guide and the release notes, at the time of writing.)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Alan Kirk wrote:Including at least four on the documentation page. (Most importantly, the installation guide and the release notes, at the time of writing.)
As stated in another thread: right-click and Save As on the link works for these documents.

Michel
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Michel Zijlema wrote:
Alan Kirk wrote:Including at least four on the documentation page. (Most importantly, the installation guide and the release notes, at the time of writing.)
As stated in another thread: right-click and Save As on the link works for these documents.

Michel
Considering that that's what I did do originally and got a 1kb garbage file masquerading as a .pdf, no it doesn't.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Alan Kirk wrote:
Michel Zijlema wrote:

Michel
Considering that that's what I did do originally and got a 1kb garbage file masquerading as a .pdf, no it doesn't.
Actually I take that back, it's not a garbage file masquerading as a .pdf, it's an HTML file masquerading as a .pdf.

An HTM file which says "The requested URL (path to the .pdf in question) was not found on this server"
-----------
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

I see now - I just pulled in the stuff but don't have time to look at this stuff at the moment.

Michel
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Michel Zijlema wrote:I see now - I just pulled in the stuff but don't have time to look at this stuff at the moment.

Michel
Don't worry, it'll take long enough to get through the stuff that is there, though a lot of it seems to be just recycled from past versions.

I also downloaded the QuickStart guide from the software download page and got a tar.gz file which decompresses to a .tar file which contains 22 .pdfs, all identically named, all in different languages.

I't'll be interesting to see what's in the client file that Matt's referring to, but I'm wondering how much of the size bloat is down to multilingual help files and the like being included.

(It's going to be a LONG wait for the download, even at our network speed.)
-----------
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

mattgoff wrote:The eAssembly tips the scales at over 15GB. WTF?
I think that your three letter abbreviation touches it with a needle. I swear that there are people at IBM who simply don't live in the real world. As I sit here staring at the download counter for the 32 bit package (not the entire eassembly which I can't download because for me DD doesn't work and which would have given me a lot of trash that I don't need anyway), I did a little analysis.

The 9.0 SP3 U9 package was 130,880kb. (Which was around the whole size of my first Windows system hard drive, but I digress.) 9.1.4 FP1? 243,184 (the size of my second Windows drive, more or less), an 85.81% increase but still viable. 9.4.1? 319,576, a 31.4% increase. 9.5.0 528,358, a 65.33% increase. 9.5.1 558,473, a 5.7% increase. 9.5.2 691,287, a 23.78% increase.

Now 10.1 which is, as best I can figure it before the entire file arrives just under 2 hours from now, will be 2,300,928 kb. But of course for that amount of bandwidth I'll also get the help files in Mesopotamian and Aramaic.

I think that someone at Armonk needs a tap on the shoulder and a reminder that when the word "Gig" appears in the size of a download package... it's time to look up the word "Granularity" in the dictionary.

Edit: Aaaand... it hung at just over 916 megabytes. Now I get to go back and try to do the whole thing again. Thanks Iboglix, love your work. :evil: :evil:
-----------
vaneagle
OLAP Product: Cognos Express and TM1
Version: 9.4 to 10.2
Excel Version: Excel 02 to 10

Post by vaneagle »

:lol:

10 hours and counting for my download! :cry:

Almost be faster to dl it from home....
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

vaneagle wrote::lol:

10 hours and counting for my download! :cry:

Almost be faster to dl it from home....
Tell me about it. To be honest the thought crossed my own mind as well. Not home, but my wireless broadband internet which is seriously fast. However I'm stuffed if I'm going to burn up over 2 gigs of my (relatively) expensive bandwidth just because IBM doesn't know how to decently package its downloads. :evil:

Oh this is genius, unbridled genius. I decided to proxy on to the server and download it from there since it would at least be being written to a local drive rather than via my PC to a network one. I get the prompt to download. Then what do I get? A 1kb file which WinZip reports as a corrupted archive. Twice. I repeat; love your work Iboglix. Just love it to death.
-----------
vaneagle

Post by vaneagle »

downloaded 45% then failed! :cry:

trying from home now... at least its faster! :D
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

vaneagle wrote:downloaded 45% then failed! :cry:

trying from home now... at least its faster! :D
I got to about 1.3 Gig on the most recent attempt. Latest one is 349 Meg with an estimated 9 hours 13 minutes to go. This is so utterly sodding ridiculous that you'd cry if you didn't laugh, but it's a rather bitter, sarcastic laugh. :roll:

2 Gig download files packed full of garbage that you'll never use, 1 Gig to download a client. Seriously, who would come up with such ideas?

Edit: Incidentally, I'll be interested to see how you go. The speed that my download is showing is barely better than dial-up speed, and our network ain't that slow. I'm thinking that this is what happens on the server side when you put dozens of gigabytes up for download by thousands of users from two, count them, two, download locations. (I'm downloading from Ireland this time.)
-----------
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1

Post by Steve Vincent »

currently have it running at about 850 kbps but i know that will drop. once (if) i get it i'll raise a support request - 2GB is taking the piss, they have to find a better way to package this.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
vaneagle

Post by vaneagle »

I thought about downloading from Ireland...

why not an Asia Pacific server?

anyway... not great speed by any stretch...

1 file down.

2 to go for now.

sitting around 130 kbs then drops down to 60 or 70 kbs...then back up... then down....