Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos Express
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2007

TM1 model across multiple company

Post by winsonlee »

Hi everyone,

http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=11179

Follow up on the discussion on the above link i know there is nothing TM1 cant do. But more like i would like to find out if anyone has similar experience to share in using TM1 to create a model that is used across different subsidiary of a company ? eg company A is a parent company of X, Y and Z. X, Y and Z are having different business model. So X, Y and Z will have their own cubes on the same server. Have you created a consolidation statement on group level ( Company A ) in TM1 ? If you have, how will you handle consolidation journal adjustment ?
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: TM1 model across multiple company

Post by declanr »

winsonlee,

I haven't done this in a while but when I was developing a model a couple of years ago we did have a few subsidiaries on one instance of TM1.
We simply had them rule driven into an Income Statement and SoFP cube with each going to an "Entity" element within a "Subsidiaries" dim.
There was another dimension which actually had a couple of dozen elements but for all intensive purposes it had "actuals" (which were loaded from the individual models), then there was a "JNL" element which was used to load in the contras (they were loaded via an excel workbook which had validations to make sure both sides of journals were entered etc. of course you could now make this prettier with active forms and TM1 web... possibly). Then obviously there was another element "result" which consolidated the original values with those that were journalled.

Whatever way you choose to go about this; the actual concept is pretty standard to TM1 with consolidations being fairly easy.

If you are worried about people from different locations accessing the same service then you simply need to put TM1 on a box that can be accessed from multiple sites (obviously your IT dept should be able to advise on this.)

If I have missed the point and there is a specific issue that you have regarding this, just elaborate further and I will see if I have come across something similar.

Cheers
Declan Rodger
Martin Ingram
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: IBM SaaS - Digital Pack
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by Martin Ingram »

Or an entirely different approach - Keep journal adjustments away from TM1 entirely and have a consolidation entity in the ledger system (the data from which is loaded into TM1).

You may find this is prefered by your finance / audit team
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Don't forget Quebit's TM1 extension which allows journalling linked to TM1:

http://www.quebit.com/SCOPE-for-TM1.asp

I've implemented a predecessor product and found it rather good, especially as regards plugging it into your (sensible) custom TM1 design.