MDX Filtering on Multiple Dimensions

cbeycwright
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2007

MDX Filtering on Multiple Dimensions

Post by cbeycwright »

A couple of general questions here about MDX and TM1 ...

1) Is it possible to filter on multiple dimensions in TM1? Here's an example for the sake of clarity:

* Cube Products has three dimensions: Color, Size, Price.
* In a cube view, Color and Size are to the left (rows) and price is on top (column).
* Can a filter be created that produces the following output

Blue, Small, 3.00
Blue, Large, 4.00
Red, Small, 1.00
Green, Large, 9.00

2) Assuming this is possible, can anyone point me to a good resource or example that explains it?

I see a lot of MDX tutorials with SELECTs, nested statements, and other useful constructs, but my brain is stuck on the fact that each of these filters is sitting in a dimension (Color *or* Size) when it seems like I should be filtering the elements together, not separately. Effectively, I need to have a different Size subset for each element in Color, using the example above.

Hopefully that makes sense. I feel like this is probably basic MDX stuff here, but I'm new to it. Just trying to get some concept help.

Thanks for reading.
Marcus Scherer
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2016

Re: MDX Filtering on Multiple Dimensions

Post by Marcus Scherer »

Most of the MDX examples in this forum explain how to create dynamic subsets. A subset belongs to one dimension.
Your intention is to retreive values from a cube with an SELECT .. FROM [cube] statement. This is also possible but you need some VBA using the ADO interface. J. Wakefield and K. Blackler paved the way here:

http://www.bihints.com/tm1_sdk