jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Rule Editor Issue

Post by jim wood »

Guys,

I have recently upgraded my PC up to windows 7. With the upgrade my rules editor has finally started working like it should do. Previously I had a .Net error and I only got the basic text editor. (This is not the problem I am having by the way)

Today I tried to copy a rule from one cube to another. (Creating an archive version of the current cube.) When I copied the rules in I got a error. I found the problem very quickly.

I have rule to do a scaler:

['£000'] = N: ['£0'] \ 1000 ;

When I copy the rule from one cube to teh other I get:

['?000'] = N: ['?0'] \ 1000 ;

I have copying it in to notepad first to replace teh question marks without success. I have also found that when I select either element within the editor I get the same result. The original rule works and compiles properly but when I disply in the new editor and try to save I get the same error.

Apart from finding a machine with the basic rules editor does anybody know of a work around / fix,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
jim wood
Site Admin

Re: Rule Editor Issue

Post by jim wood »

Good old rule worksheets. Work around found. A very strange issue. If anybody can replicate the issue it might be worth reporting it to our friends at IBM (We are currently out of support so I can't report it myself),

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

that smells of character sets. as 9.1+ uses unicode and allows extended character sets, could it be some of the non-alphanumeric characters are being mixed up? do you have chinese character support enabled in win7? if not, try it and see if it makes any difference. also, could it be font support? maybe some fonts the rules editor is using are not installed?
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

I have tried this on our development server which win server 2003 and I get the same issue. I haven't tried the chinesse support. I do however think that the font in question is installed. A bit of a mystery tbh. It would be good to hear from anybody else that has had the same issue. The version we are on is 9.1 SP3 U2 (or 3 not sure),

Jim.
Shop at Amazon
Andy Key
MVP
Version: 2.5 to PA
Excel Version: Lots

Post by Andy Key »

I didn't think the new style rule editor had ever allowed the £ sign. I think 'extended characters' were mentioned in the documentation when it was originally released, and there was a suggestion that you could get round it by doing what you have done and copy it in from Notepad. Never worked for me either.

I have just tried the method I used to get the £ sign above from an Australian keyboard which is to hold Alt and Fn (I'm on a laptop with no separate keypad) then type 0163 on the keypad overlay (for me the keys MJOL), then release the Alt and Fn. This doesn't work directly in the advanced rule editor (9.4.1FP3), but copying the £ sign from this reply and pasting it in does work.

Whether this would work when using a UK keyboard, and whether the character that appears would actually match with the character that is in your dimension element name is another matter...
Andy Key
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Cheers Andy. This could be a big issue going forward as personally I have used extended characters in a lot of measures while using TM1. I guess it will be workable if I can get your work around to work and if they decide to keep rule excel sheets,

Jim.
Shop at Amazon
stephen waters
MVP
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by stephen waters »

Andy Key wrote:I didn't think the new style rule editor had ever allowed the £ sign.
I think that was my experience too. I reported it to support when 9.1 first came out and was told lack of support for extended charactres was a feature, hope to address in later releases etc...

It is a shame because the new rules editor has lots of nice features but this, and some otehrissues, made it very difficult to use (but nice to show in demos!)

You can disable the "Advanced" rules editor in your tm1p.ini file "AdvancedRulesEditor = F" (which is default for current versions now). This leaves you with old style basic editor which works.
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Jim

I agree with Stephen. I always disable the advanced rules editor. The colour coding it provides looks nice, but it is difficult to use as a rules editor, eg try entering a [ ] and DB formula with it and you will see what I mean.

I wish that you could swap between the two editors without needing to edit TM1P.INI and re-start the client. If you could then it would be possible to use the SyncFusion rules editor for reviewing and the std Rule Editor for Editing.

Regards

Paul
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Thanks for that guys. I'm limited what I can do on my PC, I don't have access to the local drive. I will however disable the editor on my development sever.

Thanks again,

Jim.
Shop at Amazon
Steve Vincent
Site Admin

Post by Steve Vincent »

Jim, its a CLIENT setting not a SERVER one and you must have access to edit that as it sits in your profile. On XP that would be C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Applix\TM1
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Steve Vincent wrote:Jim, its a CLIENT setting not a SERVER one and you must have access to edit that as it sits in your profile. On XP that would be C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Applix\TM1
Incidentally, a tip to quickly find your application data directory whatever the Windows version (for yea verily it's not in the same place in Win 7 as it is in XP...); it's stored in an environment variable called AppData. You can therefore open Windows Explorer and enter

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%
into the Windows Explorer address bar (note the % characters before and after), press [Enter] and be taken straight to the relevant folder. From there you just navigate down to the Cognos or Applix folder, as the case may be.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Thanks Alan, very useful.

Steve, you misunderstood what I meant. I meant I can't change the tm1p.ini file on my laptop due to security restrictions. I am going to change it on my dev server (where I have full admin access) so I have the choice of using either the advanced editor my laptop of the basic editor as needed on my dev box. 8-)

Jim.
Shop at Amazon
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote: Steve, you misunderstood what I meant. I meant I can't change the tm1p.ini file on my laptop due to security restrictions.
Are you absolutely sure about that? I think that Steve's point, and I agree with him here, is that no Windows security setting should lock down the AppData folders because if it did then many applications simply wouldn't work. By definition AppData is the place that applications need to be able to write data to. Remember that tm1p.ini doesn't only store fixed values; it also stores dynamic ones like, for example, the parameters which define your subset editor window layout. If AppData was locked down (and so, therefore, was tm1p.ini) then the client should be generating an error when it attempts to write to it.

Might be worth rechecking that.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

I have tried it and you are right. I only have read access to the C: drive but because the Appdata folder is for my user id alone I do have write access to it and I have successfully been able to change the ini file. The advanced rule editor is no more (thank god)!!!

Thanks for all your help guys. 8-)
Shop at Amazon
Steve Vincent
Site Admin

Post by Steve Vincent »

:D the main reason i knew that is because i have to manually change it multiple times every day right now, as IBM were so kind as to change the location of their TM1 files but not that of the configs. 9.5 screws up the ini if i want to use 9.0 and vice versa, so while i'm testing 9.5 i need to swap configs with a BAT file to continue to support people in production. Ahhh the smell of progress!
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

We're out of support at the moment (Cost cutting and all that) and I can't move off the version I'm on. In some ways I think I might be glad from the sounds of it,

Jim.
Shop at Amazon