IBM Blueprints

luka
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 9.1
Excel Version: 2003

IBM Blueprints

Post by luka »

Hi just wondeirng if anyone has used or evaluated the IBM Innovation Centers "Expense Planning and Control Performance Blueprint " or any other TM1 blueprints ?
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/cog ... nning.html (might need to become a member but free to join)

.. were they useful as a guide/prototype only or was it production quailty (with basic modifications) ?

Cheers

Luka
luka
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 9.1

Re: IBM Blueprints

Post by luka »

wow no responses ! .. I'll take it that no one has tried them out yet then I suppose ..
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

luka wrote:wow no responses ! .. I'll take it that no one has tried them out yet then I suppose ..
Well, that's part of it.

Another part is that while I can't speak for others, I for one am just so sodding jaded with the endless runaround of multiple logins and impenetrable navigation practices on the IBM web site that I can't be bothered. According to the Innovation Centre's "Become a Member" page:
Requirements for membership:
Membership is currently extended to IBM customers and partners
OK, fine. So why on earth aren't those people already automatically signed up and allowed access under their existing logins? I can make a guess...

For when I went to look at some of the examples, I noted that there was a link to a "Web Demo". On most companies' sites, I would expect that to link to a Web-based demonstration, perhaps an AVI or a Quick Time video or some such. Nope. Up pops an E-Form which, if you're already logged in on one of your many IBM logins, will be pre-populated with your details. Presumably if you submit it, you'll be contacted by a sales rep. Even the Evaluation Guide links, which misleadingly use a .pdf icon suggesting that you'll find something useful at the end of them, lead straight on to the aforementioned e-form.

The most precious resource I have is time. I NEVER have enough of it. That means that when I visit a web site I want to click straight through to the content. The meat. The information that would be useful to me. No e-forms, no multiple logins, no login forms that don't store cookies like IBM's support site (at least I'll never forget my password considering how many times I've had to type it each and every session), no navigating through 12 web pages just to get to a downloads page. Everything that you need to do on an IBM web site is the antithesis of the principle of "don't bore us, get to the chorus".

Trudging through the digital treacle to get to the content just isn't worth the effort IMHO. Considering that all you'll be getting is an "out of the box" solution that will probably only kinda-sorta fit your needs anyway, I think that most experienced users would be better served by just analysing their own needs and building from scratch. Newbies who have to burn up a lot of time getting up the learning curve anyway might find some ideas there, though.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
bihints.com
Version: 9.0.3

Post by bihints.com »

the forms can be skipped and the "meat" is to be found directly at this link (no forms / multiple sign-ins / download manager nonsense):
http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/p ... atamodels/
http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/p ... lueprints/

Thanks the web designer(s) for being sloppy/lazy ;)
rfielden
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2007

Post by rfielden »

We just found out about the TM1 blueprints yesterday. I have downloaded and not trying to get the #$()*&#)(*$ password to the zip files from IBM.
winsonlee
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos Express
Version: 9.5

Post by winsonlee »

rfielden wrote:We just found out about the TM1 blueprints yesterday. I have downloaded and not trying to get the #$()*&#)(*$ password to the zip files from IBM.
do you have the password to unzip the files ?
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

See this post about legal issues. Passwords are part of IP and can't be shared unless already in the public domain.

I'm not certain, but I would imagine that IBM would like you to contact them in order to get the passwords so they know who is using the blueprints.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

winsonlee wrote:
rfielden wrote:We just found out about the TM1 blueprints yesterday. I have downloaded and not trying to get the #$()*&#)(*$ password to the zip files from IBM.
do you have the password to unzip the files ?
I think that one would come under the following provision of the Legal Issues thread:
Requests For Passwords, Etc
Any requests for passwords to web sites, archive files, software applications, etcetera (other than the default one for the TM1 sample applications (which is in the manual anyway) or ones which are otherwise in the public domain) will be removed. Anyone who replies posting such passwords, without having legal authority to do so, may at the discretion of the administrators have their accounts suspended or deleted. This would not be done lightly or as a first resort, however.
Unless the password is either "Apple" or available somewhere on a publicly accessible web page (in which case the link would need to be included), please do not post it here.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
winsonlee
Regular Participant

Post by winsonlee »

my mistake. i was reading the read-me file that comes together with the zip file and it was mention it is provided for free. So i didn't realize that it will create any legal issue to obtain something which is free. But at the same time I am confused why would IBM password protect the zip file if they are already planning to give it for free ?
winsonlee
Regular Participant

Post by winsonlee »

will go through the proper procedure to get the password from IBM.
hunterforcognos
OLAP Product: TM1, Transformer
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2013

Post by hunterforcognos »

Hi All,

I know that password cannot be posted on this forum. But, if someone has a password, can you please let us know the procedure you followed in order to get it? Maybe you emailed to / called IBM to get the password?

Awaiting your response,

Thanks!
stephen waters
MVP
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by stephen waters »

hunterforcognos wrote:I know that password cannot be posted on this forum. But, if someone has a password, can you please let us know the procedure you followed in order to get it?
Thanks!
Finding the right person in IBM can be a struggle but, if you are a business partner I suggest try your IBM Parter Manager or make an enquiry via partnerworld.

If you are a customer then ask your IBM\Cognos account manager who should be able to point you in the right direction.

FWIW, I looked at the Cognos Express\TM1 blueprints a couple of years ago and they were bad (eg doing hierarchies as rules). If customers used them as a basis for a live system or as an indication of best practice they would end up with very poor results. On the other hand, they may have been improved now...
hunterforcognos
OLAP Product: TM1, Transformer
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2013

Post by hunterforcognos »

Thanks Stephen.

I finally managed to get in touch with a person at IBM and have emailed them. Hopefully, will be able to use the blueprints in sometime and hope that IBM has improved / revised their blueprints than before.
ParisHilton
OLAP Product: Tm1
Excel Version: 2007 2010

Post by ParisHilton »

I'd love to skim read the blueprints. But like Alan so eloquently put it, navigating through the maze of logins and links on the IBM site is harder than finding your way though Hampton Court Maze. And then you have to get the password.

I wonder if it is just part of a recruitment test for the intelligence services?
“The way I see it, you should live everyday like its your birthday”

TM1 9.5 Cognos BI 8.4 Excel 2007. 128GB Ram. E7450@2.40Ghz -24 core. Fluffy white dog.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

You need to take the "blueprints", and I use the term loosely, with a grain of salt. They are OK, but if I was in charge at IBM I would be embarrased. Anyone with a few years of TM1 experience can run circles around the stuff in them. The rules code is sloppy and poorly documented.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/