Getting Reacquanted With The IP Rules

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Getting Reacquanted With The IP Rules

Post by Alan Kirk »

We recently had a post in which someone asked for old copies of TM1 to run as an academic exercise. I fully understand the intentions behind this, and let's be brutally honest, nobody is going to want to fire up 7.1.4 (much less server version 6 and Perspectives 2.6) again for any reason except possibly to wonder where the hell the last 20 years of their life went.

Nonetheless, that thread had to be pulled. I would like to re-draw everyone's attention to the "Legal Issues Concerning Intellectual Property Rights" thread, specifically:
Requests For Sample, Materials, Etc
Similarly, posts which either ask for or upload software, documents, or other materials which are not openly available but which normally require a password supplied by the creator / distributor of the materials will be deleted
Yes, the software concerned is so obsolete that it's effectively unusable. That, however, isn't the point. IBM hasn't abandoned it, and has licenced it ONLY to the person or entity that had the licence. Were an IBM representative to see such a request on the forum... let's just say it wouldn't be the first time that IBM has gone ape guano over such a thing (to be clear... as is their legal right), which is how the thread cited above came about in the first place.

If you want to obtain old school copies of the software, making the request through your IBM account rep is the way to do it. I don't fancy your chances, and I grant you that old copies are more likely to be "in the wild" (my oldest version is 7.1.4.275, which is depressing), but you can't do it through here.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: Getting Reacquanted With The IP Rules

Post by Steve Rowe »

*Bump* as I downshifted this replying to another post after reading this one
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk