Dimension editor not showing elements

stephen waters
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Dimension editor not showing elements

Post by stephen waters »

Has anyone had a problem in Ver 9.1 or 9.4 (my demo machine!) with the dimension editor not showing all the elements? I have reported it to Cognos but they say they cannot reproduce it. I also reported it to Applix back in Jan and it was "passed to engineering" but seems to have been lost.

Extract from my prob report:
I attach a screenshot from the standard "Planning sample" database. The bug affects dimensions that do not extend to the bottom of the window. In this example the plan_chart_of _accounts dimension is not showing the accounts between 65022 and net operating income (ie 65035, Adv & Marketing, Operating Expense, Net Operating Income). If the window is resized you sometimes see a funny white bar at bottom, probably to do with the bug as well. It started with Ver 9.1, probably because of the grey coluor added to the dim editor window.

On my Dell 630 running Windows XP it occurs at resolutions varying from 1024x768 to 1600x1200 on both large and standard font sizes.

Regards
Attachments
cogsw 080917.doc
(175.5 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Dimension editor not showing elements

Post by Alan Kirk »

stephen waters wrote:Has anyone had a problem in Ver 9.1 or 9.4 (my demo machine!) with the dimension editor not showing all the elements? I have reported it to Cognos but they say they cannot reproduce it. I also reported it to Applix back in Jan and it was "passed to engineering" but seems to have been lost.

Extract from my prob report:
I attach a screenshot from the standard "Planning sample" database. The bug affects dimensions that do not extend to the bottom of the window. In this example the plan_chart_of _accounts dimension is not showing the accounts between 65022 and net operating income (ie 65035, Adv & Marketing, Operating Expense, Net Operating Income). If the window is resized you sometimes see a funny white bar at bottom, probably to do with the bug as well. It started with Ver 9.1, probably because of the grey coluor added to the dim editor window.

On my Dell 630 running Windows XP it occurs at resolutions varying from 1024x768 to 1600x1200 on both large and standard font sizes.
No, I can't reproduce that in 9.4 running on my Asus (1280*800, Win XP SP3) using the same dimension. It's not something that I would normally have noticed since y'all know what I think of the Dimension Editor. I can see the white bar, but have no problem with the elements displaying.

My suggestion would be to take a look at whether your display is using hardware acceleration. (Probably set via the Advanced button on the Settings tab of your Display properties dialog.) If it is, crank it all the way back to None and see whether you're still having problems. I'm aware of hardware acceleration sometimes affecting displays (graphics in Word are notorious for this, for example); you may need to upgrade your video drivers. What I'm thinkin' is that if Iboglix can't reproduce it, and I can't reproduce it, it may be something specific to your hardware, and the hardware acceleration and drivers would be the first place I'd be looking.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Erlmoser
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express,..
Version: 9.1.4 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Erlmoser »

it seems so that you use another DPI value than default.

so set it back to default and it should be solved. (or do you mean font size == dpi )
stephen waters
MVP
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by stephen waters »

Alan,
Tried the hardware acceleration, doesn't help I am afraid.

Martin,
Yes, when I say normal\large font sizes this is the same as dpi. And I have tried different setting without success ( in historic times we discovered similar problems with Planning Manager idf teh font size was set to large).

Preumably this is something very specific to my graphics setting, but is is a pretty standard Dell 620 with no special graphics !