The Sound Of No Hands Clapping

Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: The Sound Of No Hands Clapping

Post by Martin Ryan »

John Hobson wrote:At the risk of appearing pedantic (never stopped me before has it?) , aren't synonyms by definition synonyms of each other
You're wasted in IT, you should be in politics. :D My point is that to get a Wikipedia definition of spanner you must instead get a definition of a wrench.

In NZ the only thing you wrench is your gut, e.g. "My shares in Lehman Brothers are worth as much as Henry Paulson's integrity and it is gut wrenching".

Nice moustaches by the way, John.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
stephen waters
MVP
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Avast there me hearties......

Post by stephen waters »

Arrrrgggg Jim lad. Did someone mention Wenches?? Probably because today is TLAPD http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html. So shiver me futtock shrouds, reectme studding sails and splice the mainbrace!!
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

As always look what Alan started! Granted anyone of us could have stopped it and we choose not to.
I.e. no Americans!
Can't argue with the angles, saxons and celts build the language. Maybe it just to the American to improve it. :D

<Duck to dodge all the wrenches being thrown at me>
Arrrrgggg Jim lad. Did someone mention Wenches?? Probably because today is TLAPD http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html. So shiver me futtock shrouds, reectme studding sails and splice the mainbrace!!
Did I ever mention that a guy I worked with was from the UK said us Chicagoian sound like pirates with all of our hard R's (arrrgg) in everything :mrgreen:
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Avast there me hearties......

Post by Alan Kirk »

stephen waters wrote:Arrrrgggg Jim lad. Did someone mention Wenches?? Probably because today is TLAPD http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html. So shiver me futtock shrouds, reectme studding sails and splice the mainbrace!!
Funnily enough I first (mis)read Eric's post as "wench" as well.

The thought was not at all unappealing. :D

Oh dear, I think it's time for me to head for the golf driving range to take my thoughts off such things. :lol:
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Wenches? I already have one of them and that's enough for me. I think once my wife has got rid of me I will stick to prostitutes. At least you know how much they cost up front. Wives stay with you for much longer, provide less entertainment (Time spent with / fun ratio) but cost a whole lot more. Plus a prostitute never askes for the "C" word. Commitment!!!! Come to think of it, they don't stop you doing what you really want to do at the weekend either. Why do we get married? The plus points escape me.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

Wives stay with you for much longer
I wouldn't bet on that once she has found this forum Jim mate. :shock: :D
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Eric
MVP

Post by Eric »

entertainment (Time spent with / fun ratio)
Who want to place bets that Jim has a cube setup rating everyone he knows for a fun ratio and entertainment :)
Regards,
Eric

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

I don't need a cube for that. I just look in the mirror, think of them and check out whether I smile or not. My son = beaming smile, the wife = no longer visable in the mirror as she ground me down too much,

Jim.

Has anybody guessed that I had a good weekend yet?? :oops:
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

John Hobson wrote:
Wives stay with you for much longer
I wouldn't bet on that once she has found this forum Jim mate. :shock: :D
My wife finding this forum is the least of my worries at the moment. What delights I have in store when I get home is a bigger worry for me right now.
Shop at Amazon
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote:Wenches? I already have one of them and that's enough for me. I think once my wife has got rid of me I will stick to ...
There are times when I think that we know far too much about the inner workings of Jim's mind.

Far too much.

And it's scary.

I'm talking "syntax of conditional feeders where three cubes are involved in the calculation" scary.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Alan Kirk wrote:
jim wood wrote:Wenches? I already have one of them and that's enough for me. I think once my wife has got rid of me I will stick to ...
There are times when I think that we know far too much about the inner workings of Jim's mind.

Far too much.

And it's scary.

I'm talking "syntax of conditional feeders where three cubes are involved in the calculation" scary.
You've gotta know more than me. I lost my mind years ago. It will become 11 years ago on 03/01/09. The date of my wedding aniversary.
Shop at Amazon
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote:
Alan Kirk wrote: There are times when I think that we know far too much about the inner workings of Jim's mind.
You've gotta know more than me. I lost my mind years ago. It will become 11 years ago on 03/01/09. The date of my wedding aniversary.
For Eric, Mike L, Mike C and others, that would be 01/03/09.

Or, safer still,

DayNo('09-01-03');
-----------
Eric
MVP

Post by Eric »

This forum has allowed insight into way to many minds. All who enter should be warry.
<shakes head> Why can't thing be standard across the pond? I mean come on; dates, spanners, football! Seriously!
DayNo('09-01-03');

Code: Select all

[Post1] = N:'All post in TI from now on to avoid confusion';

Code: Select all

[Post2] = N:'Unless the Captain wants to teach everyone Klingon';
Qapla' (Can't believe I Google'd goodbye in klingon)
Regards,
Eric

Mike L

Post by Mike L »

<shakes head> Why can't thing be standard across the pond? I mean come on; dates, spanners, football! Seriously!
On this side of the pond we take pride in being cranks. So great is our dedication the principle that if everybody agreed on one way of doing something it would surely be the wrong way, that we gladly make fools of ourselves just to make a point. - Of course, by the very nature of the situation, other cranks will hotly dispute this point.
stephen waters
MVP
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by stephen waters »

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
or, as the old joke goes "there are 10 kinds of people in this life, those who understand binary and those who don't"
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

stephen waters wrote:
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
or, as the old joke goes "there are 10 kinds of people in this life, those who understand binary and those who don't"
I haven't done binary since I left school. That and logic gates, the starting point of any good programmers knowledge. (The starting point for some bad ones as well no doubt.)
Shop at Amazon
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

They don't even teach binary anymore I don't think. I never heard of it while studying a computer science degree, nor first year maths. I still remember learning it from my dad, when he was home sick from work one day.

I explained it to my wife the other day after seeing a t-shirt with that joke, she smiled and nodded then proclaimed me a geek. Joke's on her, she married one.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Eric
MVP

Post by Eric »

They don't even teach binary anymore I don't think. I never heard of it while studying a computer science degree, nor first year maths. I still remember learning it from my dad, when he was home sick from work one day.
Fun times in the Ryan household!

I explained it to my wife the other day after seeing a t-shirt with that joke, she smiled and nodded then proclaimed me a geek. Joke's on her, she married one.
Think all of our wives respond that way.
Regards,
Eric

jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

I also point out that it's thanks to my geek skills that my family has a roof over it's head and food on the table. Never mind the various games consoles, flat screen TV and 2 cars!!! :roll:
Shop at Amazon
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

What was the orginal point of this post again!!!???!!!???!!! :lol:
Shop at Amazon