Innat cuuuuuute....

Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Innat cuuuuuute....

Post by Alan Kirk »

Cognos went over my head to organise a presentation to Da Boss next week.

Awwww, that's sweeeeeeet.

Unfortunately, as it turns out Da Boss wants me to come along as well.

{Grabs bag of gripes and sharpening stone...}

This should be an "interesting" meeting.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Re: Innat cuuuuuute....

Post by Eric »

Can you webcast the meeting! Chances of you making and adult cry, are high. :D
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

We expect at least a transcript Alan :P
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Will the police get there before Alan has time to write his confession.. I mean transcript?
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Mike L

Post by Mike L »

Yes, very cute. In my experience, when this happens it is usually all about peddling a solution in search of a problem. Sounds like Da Boss knows better. ;)
rossi

Post by rossi »

Silly COGNOS, it will be like they are being led to the slaughter yard, won't it?

I don't want a transcript, I want a video..put it up on YouTube

Paolo
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

Cheeky bar stewards, our rep knows better than to try something like that. If he comes to the right people we'll ply him with biccies, always works! :lol:
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

While sharing the general glee at the thought of Cap'n Kirk chewing up some poor hapless Cognos rep, I can't help wondering whether Mr hapless is a 'Cognos' account mgr and has no idea that you have TM1? or be only vaguely aware that Cognos now own TM1? He probably has a 50 slide powerpoint on the joys of Enterprise BI.

I'm watching with interest...
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Mike L wrote:Yes, very cute. In my experience, when this happens it is usually all about peddling a solution in search of a problem.
I think that sums it up pretty well.
rossi wrote:Silly COGNOS, it will be like they are being led to the slaughter yard, won't it?

I don't want a transcript, I want a video..put it up on YouTube
Heh... :D
David Usherwood wrote:While sharing the general glee at the thought of Cap'n Kirk chewing up some poor hapless Cognos rep, I can't help wondering whether Mr hapless is a 'Cognos' account mgr and has no idea that you have TM1? or be only vaguely aware that Cognos now own TM1? He probably has a 50 slide powerpoint on the joys of Enterprise BI.
It's actually a pair of 'em. She (harking from Cognos) be the "Senior Account Manager" and he (harking from Applix) be the "Account Manager". I've met with them before, so they definitely know that we have TM1. And Web and EV, since I expressed my... disappointment at what we got for the money in the past. Although I've never worked in sales, my own thought is that (especially in larger companies) it's very important to know the political flows in a client as much as knowing what the corporate needs are. I get the impression that HE knows this, SHE be clueless about this. She also be the one who instigated this meeting, as far as I can tell, but in a rather fumble-handed manner.

It's going to be a futile trip for them anyway, and would be regardless of whether I got ticked off. Some form of BI is essential to a business. When the economy's booming and the money is flowing, then you can look at expanding and enhancing said BI solution. But when the economy's teetering, jobs are being shed, people have at least 75 bucks per week less in their pocket for discretionary spending than they did last year as a result of interest rates, food and fuel prices, this is NOT the time that most companies are going to splash out 6 figure sums on new BI tools especially when we still have untapped potential within TM1 itself. The only exception may be companies in resources, materials and related infrastructure, but even they've been getting a kick up the backside in the last week or so due to sliding commodity prices.

Unless you can show a clear, quantifiable and demonstrable link between the purchase price of $y and increased revenue / cost savings of $y*2 (and as much as I'd love to learn Cognos BI for my own purposes, that just ain't gonna happen here), there's going to be a huge amount of reluctance to open the chequebook.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
bihints.com
Version: 9.0.3
Excel Version: 2003

Post by bihints.com »

Alan Kirk wrote: It's going to be a futile trip for them anyway, and would be regardless of whether I got ticked off. Some form of BI is essential to a business.
Maybe they should take a trip to Mexico or Brazil -> http://www.google.com/insights/search/# ... lp=&cmpt=q
I'm surprised to see these 2 countries ranking so high in level of interest in TM1.

Shall we open a spanish/portuguese board? :P