AnthonyT
OLAP Product: TM1, EV
Version: 9.0 9.1 9.4 9.5 10.1 10.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007 2010 2015

EV Connectivity

Post by AnthonyT »

Morning all

I have an EV connection problem, and I am hoping somebody here can help

I have my EV server (named EVServer whislst on the LAN) in Australia. On it is an html file that I use as an EV Report. If I am on the LAN the roport works fine

I need to access the same file whilst in the UK. The server can be connected to by replacing EVServer with office.company.com in the URL. I can succesfully locate and open the file, but the EV Object does not render - I get a message saying that the "specified view can not be opened". I can open the EV Explorer and the EV Client from the UK - but can't connect to any databases running on the server

I have checked a few things, but would anyone have any pointers for me ?

Cheers

Anthony
Anthony

That's no moon - that's a space station
rkieboom

Re: EV Connectivity

Post by rkieboom »

Hello Anthony,

Usually there is more information in the error message that might be useful. Is there any additional information in the error message you get when trying to open the View?

Maybe also posting the version of EV you are using and a screenshot could be of help.

Regards,
AnthonyT

Post by AnthonyT »

TM1 Version 9.1.2.49
EV Version 9.3.1.1

When opening the EV Client, looking at the Shared Views tab I get a message telling me that I am unable to connect to Server (servername) using TCP-IP port 7112. Please make sure EV is running and that the port is not blocked by a firewall or any proxy server.

I have four or five datasources running on the server, but the EV Client here can not pick any of them up

The only message I get when looking at the HTML is that the view cannot be opened.

The are no error messages in the EV Explorer

I have tried changing the authentication setting in the Web.Config file from Windows to None - it made no difference
Anthony

rkieboom

Post by rkieboom »

Hello Anthony,

I think the error message contains the correct suggestion for solving the problem. My guess is that on or more firewalls are blocking the communication between EVClient and EVServer using port 7112.

This firewall could be at the Client's end, and/or at the Server's end. You should make sure that this port is opened, or enable HTTP tunneling over port 80 or HTTPS tunneling over port 443

Regards,
AnthonyT

Post by AnthonyT »

Hi and thanks for the help so far

Being not quite that technical - how would I go about checking / doing the above (I do have admin rights to the server)

Thanks
Anthony

rkieboom

Post by rkieboom »

Hi Anthony,

I think the best approach would be to contact a system/network administrator of your company for opening ports on the firewall(s). But if you would want to use HTTP tunneling, this can be set quite easily.

- Open the EVServer.exe.config file
- In the <appSettings> section, add the following line:

<add key="ServerProtocol" value="HTTP"/>

- Close and save the config file
- Stop and Start EVServer service
- When you use the URL API to connect to EVServer, you're all set now, the page you open will contain the proper settings by default (EVServer provides the Client with the proper settings). When you use a custom HTM page to connect to EVServer, you would need to add the following to the page:

<param Name="Protocol" value="HTTP"/>

Does that help?

Regards,

Ruben