TM1 and MS PowerPoint

Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

TM1 and MS PowerPoint

Post by Steve Vincent »

Has anyone had any luck in integrating TM1 data with PowerPoint?

We have a semi-complicated Excel file that allows users to select some options, recalculate and present some graphs. This is great for teams to see their data but not for major reviews with key stakeholders, where they want to look at a suite of graphs (150+) with some ad-hoc key areas as well. As these are being presented by my boss he's not wanting to pick and recalc every one so they need to be pre-prepared and presented via PowerPoint.

The major issue is that currently the figures are still moving. Ideal world I'd like to create the base graph in PP (done) and then link the data table to TM1. In effect then refresh the pack then save it with the TM1 links broken so it's portable. I know the graph tables are unable to take formula, so what options are there for this kind of task? Copy and Pasting the graphs from the Excel file is a long, boring task and with the numbers moving it's fruitless. I'm contemplating a basic excel file with the links to TM1, then linking that with PP but i hate linked files, so are there any other options?

TIA
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Re: TM1 and MS PowerPoint

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Hi Steve,

If you have EV available and you're willing to get into that: the EV control, linking to the TM1 database can be included in Powerpoints. With this setup you can refresh your slides automatically. This is a feature that the EV-salesforce always have been very keen on for demoing.

Michel
Steve Vincent
Site Admin

Post by Steve Vincent »

Alas no, just good ole TM1 9.0 with no extra frills, or as Alan might call them "annoyances beyond the realm of comprehension"!! :D
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
TomBr

Post by TomBr »

I presume when you say :
I'm contemplating a basic excel file with the links to TM1, then linking that with PP but i hate linked files
you mean you create the graph in Excel as normal, copy it and select Edit\Paste Special\Paste Link to put into Powerpoint.

If you do end up using this method, one tip is to resize the the graphs in Excel before copying and pasting to Powerpoint else you run the risk of them resizing randomly each time you update the links in Powerpoint.

Tom
Steve Vincent
Site Admin

Post by Steve Vincent »

Nope, i mean an excel file embedded within each slide rather than linked. If i link one file in to multiple slides, it only ever shows the sheet that was on view the last time the linked file was saved.

Each file will have the same table / chart data and be linked to TM1, with only the relevant dim values changed for each one. I despise linked files more than you can possibly imagine, they go wrong far too often and are too sluggish at updating, especially with a pack that will be as big as this one. Embedded files also avoid the issue of resizing grahs, amongst a bunch of others.

I'm still working on the "template" Excel file right now, but the only issue i've found so far and yet to tackle is the ability to refresh each embedded file in one go. If anyone has done that kind of thing within PP before it'd be great to hear from you!