9.1 vs Beachware (SPF) version 7

Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

9.1 vs Beachware (SPF) version 7

Post by Alan Kirk »

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if we're the only ones using that combination, but I'm putting this in the archive in case anyone else comes across the same problem and goes searching the Forum.

In production (8.2.12), Citrix users run a batch file which fires up Excel, loads the tm1p.xla add-in and the Beachware 7.0 add-in. Essentially:

Code: Select all

call "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Excel.exe" "\\ServerName\TM1\Client\Programs8212\tm1p.xla" "\\ServerName\TM1\client\beach\beach.xla"  
This works fine.

Try that in version 9.1, though, and:
- The tm1p.xla displays its macro warning and the add-in loads as usual.
- The beach.xla displays the macro warning and...you get an unhandled VBA error 91, object not set.

When you go to log in to the server, you'll get another error 91 followed by a dialog telling you that a macro error has occurred, but after that it'll perform normally. (Except that the connection lamp on the TM1 toolbar will remain red; this would seem to be what's interacting toxically with Beachware.)

The workaround: The first time you load Beachware you need to do it manually. It seems OK with being loaded after the tm1p.xla has been loaded and settled in, it just doesn't like to move in to la casa di Excel at the same time. In subsequent sessions, the beach.xla add-in will load when the user clicks on one of its toolbar icons.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: 9.1 vs Beachware (SPF) version 7

Post by David Usherwood »

Interesting to hear about Beachware again - it was around in the Northern Hemisphere for a short period only. Applix took it on as a reseller but ensured its failure by cutting partner margins.
Alan, do you know how things stand with Dynamic Decisions/SPF/whatever they are now called? Do they provide support for Beachware? I recall the rather enjoyable history about Applix buying the company but not the products, but I wondered where things had got to since then.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: 9.1 vs Beachware (SPF) version 7

Post by Alan Kirk »

David Usherwood wrote:Interesting to hear about Beachware again - it was around in the Northern Hemisphere for a short period only. Applix took it on as a reseller but ensured its failure by cutting partner margins.
Alan, do you know how things stand with Dynamic Decisions/SPF/whatever they are now called? Do they provide support for Beachware? I recall the rather enjoyable history about Applix buying the company but not the products, but I wondered where things had got to since then.
Yup, they're still around; I don't think that Applix bought the company as such, but rather bought back the distribution rights. Or something. At one time Dynamic Decisions was a (or possibly the, for a time) TM1 distributor down here, then Applix Australia took that over.

The SPF product still has its own web site (http://www.spfplus.com/), though the company has rebranded as Calumo Labs (http://www.calumo.com/company.html) and refocussed its attention on MSAS rather than TM1. As I've mentioned previously, it really does sound more like a coffee brand, but what the hey... Though that having been said, I did get a call from them (using the SPF name) a couple of weeks back asking if they could come in and see me. I asked 'em to call back in about a month. July? Not really the best month to call a company which has a June year end.

I'm happy enough to take a look at their offerings, though we went off maintenance on SPF / Beachware last year because nuke and copy / paste still work in Beachware 7, but none of the other features that we wanted to work really did in that OR subsequent versions. They do have a new in cell charting tool which looks interesting, though.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.