mincharug.shulft
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Applix,Cognos TM!
Version: applix9.0Cognos tm1 9.5.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010 2007

TM1 Web failed to login

Post by mincharug.shulft »

Hi Gurus:
as of last four days, it is working the WEB. but now started not working.

Issue: while login into TM1 Web failed to login.
error: Hmm.... cannot reach this page. server.org took long to respond. Error print screen attached.

I tried checking the fmpsvc_config.xml/tm1web file/IBM Configuration component and compared with Dev and Prod instances and then restarted the services. I think I followed most of the steps posted/available internet but still same issue.

PA local 2.0 version we are using.

really appreciated if any ideas/suggestions to check?
Attachments
TM1 Web Error.jpg
TM1 Web Error.jpg (105.94 KiB) Viewed 66161 times
Emixam
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2016

Re: TM1 Web failed to login

Post by Emixam »

It may sounds stupid but have you try to restart tm1web ?
mincharug.shulft
Regular Participant

thank you for quick response Emixam. I did that couple of times and didnot work too.
mincharug.shulft
Regular Participant

I am guessing port 9510 that we use for TM1web to communicate is blocked can cause this issue? because when I punch the query in command prompt to see whether port is enabled/listening or not. it is not listening where in my other ports that were part of the tm1s.cfg is. pls see print screen, is this cause any guess or help really appreciated. This is actually production issue and tried reaching ibm and there is no help yet.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-11-27 at 11.31.19 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-11-27 at 11.31.19 PM.jpeg (72.15 KiB) Viewed 66131 times
burnstripe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9

Post by burnstripe »

The fact that port is 9510 isn't listening I don't expect to be down to firewall issue, that would normally stop a user from reaching the Web page but wouldn't stop the port from listening.

I suspect the service used for tm1web isn't running/failing to start/crashing (or tm1web has been configured to use a different port, which would have been manually altered). What version of tm1/PA are you on, we need more then just pa 2.0? For example 2.0.8 or 2.0.9.10

Do you have spreadsheet services installed? If so is that service running. If IBM planning analytics spreadsheet service is not installed is IBM cognos tm1 service running?

The fpmsvc_config.xml is only applicable for tm1 applications and the tm1web.config doesn't contain any settings that would effect tm1web to be inaccessible.

You mentioned that tm1web has been restarted, could you confirm what the name of the service was. What was the behaviour when it was being restarted. Did it blanket refuse to start, or did it start but never fully started and where any error messages given.

The event viewer is normally a good place to check for errors of this nature
mincharug.shulft
Regular Participant

Hi burnstripe,

we have planning analytics 2.0.2 but also i am checking tm1sd.exe file properties, the version 11.1.00000.30.

I can see that in the services as "IBM Cognos PA" is running state that I restarted the "IBM Cognos PA" from "IBM Cognos TM1 Services" from IBM Cognos configuration component. while restarting that I never faced any issues with TM1 web services. I see some application related application logs from the windows logs (Pls see attached print screen).
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-11-28 at 10.10.02 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-11-28 at 10.10.02 PM.jpeg (128.02 KiB) Viewed 66080 times
mincharug.shulft
Regular Participant

WhatsApp Image 2021-11-28 at 10.10.02 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-11-28 at 10.10.02 PM.jpeg (128.02 KiB) Viewed 66080 times
Hi burnstripe,

we have planning analytics 2.0.2 but also i am checking tm1sd.exe file properties, the version 11.1.00000.30.

I can see that in the services as "IBM Cognos PA" is running state that I restarted the "IBM Cognos PA" from "IBM Cognos TM1 Services" from IBM Cognos configuration component. while restarting that I never faced any issues with TM1 web services. I see some application related application logs from the windows logs (Pls see attached print screen).
mincharug.shulft
Regular Participant

any thoughts burnstripe?
burnstripe
Regular Participant

Post by burnstripe »

Is there enough memory free on the service to start tm1web? The memory assigned to tm1web will be set in cognos configuration for your version

Are any disk drives on the server full?

Is there service/named account assigned to the Web service. If so are the credentials correct and not expired/changed

(what's the cognos services doing from the services screen are they in a running state? Starting from cognos configuration won't always show an error so go to services to make sure, judging by that message from event viewer one of them won't be running) when starting from services, take a note of the behaviour, does it terminate immediately, after a few seconds, or after several minutes? Also what's the cpu usage like before the crash?
mincharug.shulft
Regular Participant

we have there are five services that are running in this server. PA, adminserver,tm1 servers (3 applications). while I do restart the IBM Cognos PA, I donot see any issues,it is restarted. when i restart the TM1 adminserver one of the application service will go to stopping state therefore I need to goto taskmanager and then kill it and when I went to log directory then I see the tm1s.log holding there so I have to delete it manually. so, considered that, I stopped the service of that TM1 applications and then checking but still same issue. I made it running only one tm1 application to occupy less memory.

we have enough available space of drive 300 gb and then memory is 86% occupied running all three application instances. so I tried up and running only one tm1 application and then it is showing the 26% memory occupied. so I tried with web but still not working. in the IBM Cognos configuration, I can see that 4096 MB specified maximum memory for webshpare. all these tm1 services are running local account and we are able to login into the perspectives and architect we are using the cognos autentication.

one thing I see it that we are using client authentication that I can see it in certificates window that server/common name have renewed the services on 7/12/2021. Is this something I need to update it in the cognos configuration anywhere?
burnstripe
Regular Participant

Post by burnstripe »

Firstly, I think those two error messages in event viewer arethe result of crashing the application, aka stopping the tm1 application by clicking end task/process,. When you stop the service in such a manor the tm1s.log can become corrupted, out of sync preventing the application from starting until it is deleted. It is advisable to wait for the service to stop itself, rather than forcing it. It could take a while depending if there are locks in progress and a lot of data has changed since the last savedata was executed.

Back to tm1web though, it appears you're using a custom certificate for tm1web, correct? The old certificate could have expired or may not have been imported to all the necessary places in cognos.

Have you seen this technote perhaps it will help

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/use-i ... tes-tm1web

Have a look in the camkeystore, has the certificate expired or simply missing. If missing upload using key tool or a command, open cognos configuration click save and then attempt start the Web service up

Also if using a self certified certificate check the ca (certificate authority) is trusted. The ca certificate should be imported into the servers list of certificates. Search for manage computer certificates to find this
mincharug.shulft
Regular Participant

Thank you so much burnstripe. I tried followed the IBM link and didnot work. I think I am missing may be sometime. I will have to redo again and also I have created |IBM ticket and waiting for IBM.

I will share the updates burnstripe.
burnstripe
Regular Participant

Post by burnstripe »

For what it's worth I do think the issue here is with the certificate. It does need to be it that camkeystore but it also needs to be trusted.

I would also verify that the certificate your using is valid, you can paste the contents of the certificate here
https://www.sslshopper.com/certificate-decoder.html

If liasing with IBM I would definitely mention that you think the problem is with ssl to make sure the ticket is forwarded onto someone who can actually help.

It's the kind of issue that ideally needs a Web session to resolve as there could be a lot of questions needed. But if you get any more info please feel free to come back to discuss
burnstripe
Regular Participant

Post by burnstripe »

One more idea...

The only thing that isn't making sense to me is why isn't port 9510 listening, and that's got me wondering is it being blocked? Bit of a long shot but does your model (tm1s.cfg) have the setting usessl=F

The default is T but if it is set to F then it could explain why the model runs but tm1web doesn't. There are a list of specific cipher suites that tm1 can communicate with the user via, if none of these cipher suites are allowed (aka blocked by firewalls) then tm1web wouldn't be able to broadcast on port 9510.

If usessl is not in the config or is set to T then you can ignore this message as the model would not be accessible via architect otherwise
mincharug.shulft
Regular Participant

Thank you so much burnstripe and others. really appreciated your support here. I personally see that this forum is far better than IBM's PMR response ;)

After all that, we are able to figure out the problem. web service is down, we brought up and then renamed the "workarea.old" file which is in the bin directory and restarted the services and it worked.
burnstripe
Regular Participant

Post by burnstripe »

Ah, good spot. Only seen that the 2/3 times...
If it happens again in the near future change the antivirus scanning on the workarea folder. Been the cause of that issue for me in the past