CreateHierarchyByAttribute cause server to crash

Francois
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

CreateHierarchyByAttribute cause server to crash

Post by Francois »

Hi all

We recently upgraded a local PA installation to TM1 2.0.97.6. We hoped to use the hierarchy create by attribute function via TI or through PAW, but each time it's created the server crash. This was supposed to be fixed in 2.0.9.1 LC. https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/syste ... 91v5_0.pdf

Server : Microsoft Windows Server 2016.
Server type : VM
TM1 : 2.0.97.6
PAW : 2.0.63

Any idea what I'm doing wrong other than an upgrade?

Tx.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: CreateHierarchyByAttribute cause server to crash

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hello,

Could you reproduce the behavior on any dimension (even new, small, dimensions) that have a suitable attribute ?
Is it done in TI or manually ? If TI, what's the function call you use ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
tony.wijaya
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: PA 2.0.9.8 PAW 2.0.65
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by tony.wijaya »

Hi,

We encountered same issue before with PA 2.0.9.8 and PAW 2.0.64.

For our case, we noticed that the affected dimension had a lot of complex attribute rules which apparently cause the server to crash every time we created hierarchy (either from CreateHierarchyByAttribute or from PAW front end). In the end, we managed to resolve the issue by simplifying the attribute rule and converting the rule to TI.

I would suggest you to check if you have attribute rules in the affected dimension and try removing the rule to test it out.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1

Post by lotsaram »

I would as a rule, always avoid rules in attribute cubes ;-)

I would also ever using the CreateHierarchyByAttribute function. This is IMO pure demoware. Much better to create your own TI to maintain attribute based hierarchies (or use the bedrock one).
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Francois

Post by Francois »

Wim Gielis wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:59 pm Hello,

Could you reproduce the behavior on any dimension (even new, small, dimensions) that have a suitable attribute ?
Is it done in TI or manually ? If TI, what's the function call you use ?
Wim, I did that straight after I posted the question. To my surprise, it did work through a TI on a small dimension with 5 elements and no rules. The dimension I used it on was on the IBM blueprint time dimension, the one with the many complex rules. We need to create alternate hierarchies for reporting on a calendar and fiscal year. My next course of action will be to remove the rules and replace attribute maintenance with a TI.

Thanks for the help.
Francois

Post by Francois »

For all of you who are interested, createhierarchybyattribute should be used with care and demo purposes. This is limited to a more once-off use case rather than using it on a reporting hierarchy that is ever growing in size. In a production environment, creating and maintaining a virtual hierarchy, one needs to consider the size and maintenance frequency of a dimension.

The best way to do is by:
  • Using HierarchyExist and HierarchyCreate to create hierarchy and HierarchyDeleteAllElements to clean the set
  • Assign a Subset as a datasource as opposed to looping through the dim
  • Insert elements into the hierarchy using HierarchyElementInsert based on a attribute or another lookup
  • Link children to parents using HierarhcyElementComponentAdd
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Not sure that I would use HierarchyDeleteAllElements, would rather unwind the hierarchy like you would a rollup.
Francois

Post by Francois »

gtonkin wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:09 pm Not sure that I would use HierarchyDeleteAllElements, would rather unwind the hierarchy like you would a rollup.
Hi gtonkin, yes you are right but in my case, all elements will be mapped in the hierarchy in every run. Those with no attributes will default to the 'Other' consolidator. As data is stored on a leaf and HieararchyDeleteAllElements does not delete any leafs this option achieves the same result.