Unable to delete Vues Folder in Data Directory - Even when I have FULL ADMIN rights

SBK88
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2013

Unable to delete Vues Folder in Data Directory - Even when I have FULL ADMIN rights

Post by SBK88 »

HI All,

Need your help in fixing an issue which I am facing very frequently.
I do not get able to Create Subset/View, even when I have FULL ADMIN RIGHTS (both in Server and TM1 instance)
Upon checking the DATA DIRECTORY, found that subset / View folder doesnt exist there but is visible (Check the screenshot attached)

To fix this I have to RESTART my TM1 Instance, but I cant Restart the server everytime.
How to fix this ?
Thanks in advance.
TmM1 Data Folder.png
TmM1 Data Folder.png (34.08 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
Adam
OLAP Product: IBM PA
Version: 2.0.9.x
Excel Version: Microsoft 365 x64

Re: Unable to delete Vues Folder in Data Directory - Even when I have FULL ADMIN rights

Post by Adam »

SBK88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:02 am I do not get able to Create Subset/View, even when I have FULL ADMIN RIGHTS (both in Server and TM1 instance)
What error message do you get in tm1server.log?

Separately, are you trying to delete the }vues folder while the TM1 server is running?
Take care.
Adam
SBK88

Re: Unable to delete Vues Folder in Data Directory - Even when I have FULL ADMIN rights

Post by SBK88 »

Srry I have already cleared the logs (as file size was very big), will check and share if next time I will get the same issue.

Yes I am trying to DELETE the }vues Folder while TM1 Server is running
I cant even open this PARTICULAR folder as of now, while in other files/folders (under data directory) I dont have any issues even when server is running

I feel this vues folder is got created by some process (and all vues already got cleared in Epilog section) but this folder still virtually remains, hence not able to delete/open.
Adam

Post by Adam »

SBK88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:03 pm Srry I have already cleared the logs (as file size was very big), will check and share if next time I will get the same issue.
This would be most helpful, since you're getting errors but we're not sure yet which ones (besides Windows).
SBK88 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:03 pm Yes I am trying to DELETE the }vues Folder while TM1 Server is running
It's not a good practice to delete tm1 server files/folders while tm1 server is running.

When you delete a .vue (classic view) or an .xbv (MDX view) in Windows, even if Windows lets you, the entry for these views in the }Views_CubeName dimension is not removed, so when attempting to save another view with the same name, you may get errors. Think you will need to restart your tm1 server to get it in working shape, then delete using the below going forward.

Try deleting view either in GUI or by always having this in your TI process:

Code: Select all

If(ViewExists(cCubeName, cViewName) = 1);
  ViewDestroy(cCubeName, cViewName);
EndIf;
Take care.
Adam
SBK88

Post by SBK88 »

Thanks Adam,

Yes we already have this code in all our processes.
bt in few cubes (for views) and in few dimensions (for subsets) we get below mentioned error
Reason same as mentioned in main post.
Subset/View folder doesnt exists in server but is visible and we are not able to delete that too manually. (only with Server restart we can do that)
TM1 View Error.png
TM1 View Error.png (297.15 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
Adam

Post by Adam »

I think some of the more seasoned TM1ers will need to weigh in as I’ve never seen this before in routine operation.

I’m wondering if it has something to do with .VUE being deleted from the data directory, which as I mentioned is not a good practice.
Take care.
Adam
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

I have seen this when a views folder contains .xbv views (MDX created e.g. through ViewCreateByMDX or PAW views etc.)

If you manually delete the views folder while the server is still running there is a disconnect where TM1 gets confused by thinking that the folder already exists, so it tries to save a view in the folder that isn't actually there.
I don't think I've seen it how you have where the folder is actually visible, but from the error message when you try to delete it - you can tell windows has a problem with the folder not REALLY existing.

Either way long story short, do not delete any subfolders in the data directory while the TM1 service is running.
TM1 will on its own delete a view folder if you delete all the views in it (using the GUI) - but I must be honest that I have seen it fail to do this sometimes.

But any cleanup maintenance etc that is required should be done on a stopped service otherwise you will likely run into issues.
Declan Rodger