Publish MDX views

Emixam
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2016

Publish MDX views

Post by Emixam »

I know that we can use PublishView to publish a named private view on the server but it only works with native view. Is there a way for a non-admin user to create a view in Workspace (MDX) and then publish it so another non-admin user can see it in PAX ? We would also want to use views created by non-admin user in PAW and publicly query them thought REST API.

Thanks
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5

Re: Publish MDX views

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

I can't say that I have tried it but if you take the MDX from the view, you should be able to pass that as a parameter to a TI process and then that can create a public MDX view.

Probably easier to automate if the view is created in PAX rather than PAW. If created in PAW you would probably need the Rest API to get it.

Regards

Paul Simon
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

paulsimon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:33 pm
Probably easier to automate if the view is created in PAX rather than PAW. If created in PAW you would probably need the Rest API to get it.
Or save that view and open it it in PAFE to retrieve the associated MDX ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5

Post by paulsimon »

Hi Wim

While what you say is true, I somehow doubt that a user is going to want to save a view in PAW, then open it in PAX, extract the MDX and paste it into the parameter area of a TI process which will then run to create the MDX view.

I am guessing that the original poster already has something that lets an end-user publish a private native view with the click of an Action Button which runs a TI process to publish the view.

I was therefore assuming that they would want something equally automated for an MDX view, either using the VBA API in PAX or the REST API in PAW.

Regards

Paul Simon
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

paulsimon wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:14 pm Hi Wim

While what you say is true, I somehow doubt that a user is going to want to save a view in PAW, then open it in PAX, extract the MDX and paste it into the parameter area of a TI process which will then run to create the MDX view.

I am guessing that the original poster already has something that lets an end-user publish a private native view with the click of an Action Button which runs a TI process to publish the view.

I was therefore assuming that they would want something equally automated for an MDX view, either using the VBA API in PAX or the REST API in PAW.

Regards

Paul Simon
I agree Paul
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

In terms of users being able to share views between PAW and PAX.

If the user has an "Analyst" role in PAW and edit access to a PAW folder, they can save a view within the PAW folder structure.
That view can then be opened by any user who has access to the same folder in both PAW and PAX.

To open it in PAX they need to click the "View" button in the ribbon and it brings up the same folder structure as PAW from the content store.
Declan Rodger
Emixam

Post by Emixam »

Thanks everyone for your answers, it gives me a lot of idea. My next question would be; is there an "easy" way to convert MDX view to Native view? I know we can use tm1py to convert native view to MDX but I was wondering if the opposite is possible ?
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

Emixam wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:39 pm Thanks everyone for your answers, it gives me a lot of idea. My next question would be; is there an "easy" way to convert MDX view to Native view? I know we can use tm1py to convert native view to MDX but I was wondering if the opposite is possible ?
There are things that you can do in an MDX view which are not possible in a traditional view. As such there would be no method to convert the view which would be guaranteed to work 100% of the time.
Declan Rodger
Emixam

Post by Emixam »

That's what I thought when I looked at the .xbv file.

Thanks !