gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Deleting the Admin account

Post by gtonkin »

HI,
May seem like a silly question but has anyone deleted the Admin account and had any unintended consequences.

Auditors raised a finding that the default user is "available" and want it removed.

Using Security Mode 3 with AD so would give at least one named user Admin rights but just checking if anyone removed ADMIN and had strange things happen.

Please let me know. Thanks.
burnstripe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Deleting the Admin account

Post by burnstripe »

Not tried, but you can always pass this IBM link on to the auditors as proof it should remain.

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/tm1-a ... er-account
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

I can't recall the specifics, but I do remember writing a TI to delete a set of clients before adding them back and I recall that the server wouldn't let me delete Admin. Try it - perhaps not on a production server :lol:
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

Thanks for link and the feedback guys. Will look at how to actually delete Admin as we have not tried yet.

Would be fun to have the auditors around and try it in Production to see the fireworks show ensue!
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Then the auditors are quite frankly idiots. If you can prove that the account isn't used then from an audit perspective that is sufficient, but the account can't be deleted.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

lotsaram wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:59 am Then the auditors are quite frankly idiots...
Cannot disagree with you here. Complete lunacy as the account is protected with a long random generated password in case mode 1 is ever used.

Had some auditors a few years back come with a ream of findings on another Unix system I ran at the time, telling me similar things about how vulnerable things were etc. Probably not my best move in front of the client's management but threw them the keyboard and said "Go, show me!"
Stunned silence and findings were retracted.

Thanks for the confirmation though.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

gtonkin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:38 am Complete lunacy as the account is protected with a long random generated password in case mode 1 is ever used.
This is only true when you are using IBM's Cloud environment and you can remove the password if you want so that it is blank. I did that on our Cloud development server so that if I ever need to toggle back to mode 1 I can log in as an admin and not have to remember the password.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/