Capture Contributor Usage

Paul-TM1
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Capture Contributor Usage

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Hi Gurus,
I am trying to Capture Contributor Usage by application. May be it was answered here and might not have the right search criteria. Can someone please point me to the documentation?

I have these lines in the tm1s.properties file and I capture user-login. I want Contributor Usage by application and if possible how long they were on TM1.

Code: Select all

log4j.additivity.TM1.Login=false
log4j.appender.LOCK=org.apache.log4j.SharedMemoryAppender
log4j.appender.LOCK.File=UserLogin.log
log4j.appender.LOCK.MaxFileSize=100 MB
log4j.appender.LOCK.MaxBackupIndex=20
log4j.appender.LOCK.TimeZone=GMT
Thanks,
Paul.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Capture Contributor Usage

Post by tomok »

As far as the TM1 server is concerned, Contributor is really nothing more than a series of special cubes and processes that all begin with }tp*. To that extent I don't believe there is going to be any logging that you can capture tm1s-log.properties file specific to Contributor versus any other use of TM1. The transaction log is going to capture any changes to the cubes including in your application and the server log will capture the execution of any of the }tp* processes. AFAIK that's all the logging that I am aware of that you'll be able to do.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

You could hack the Contributor webapp and insert a javascript function which could write back to a database or text file when users log in to Contributor

But beyond that you are probably limited to inserting some snippets into the user triggered }tp TI processes such as taking ownership or submitting. That will give you some tracking on security changes and task status changes. It isn't quite what you are after but I don't think there is any easy (or even moderately difficult) way to get what you want.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

When an application is opened, the process }tp_initialize_session is run.
You can find this in the TM1 Message Log with the message "Process "}tp_initialize_session" executed by user "username"".
You could add some code to this process that logs when this process is run by what user.
Note though that upgrading TM1 could lead to this process being overwritten by a new one, after which you need to add the custom code again.

Michel
Emixam
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Emixam »

Michel Zijlema wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:03 pm Note though that upgrading TM1 could lead to this process being overwritten by a new one, after which you need to add the custom code again.
I looked this morning and even after our weekly server restart, all the }tp_ processes were overwritten by new ones. If you really want to modify a }tp process, you have to change the script in the install directory: D:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\tm1_64\webapps\pmpsvc\WEB-INF\ti_scripts ... That being said, you should NEVER modify these files and if you do, any TM1 upgrade will override your changes.
Paul-TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Paul-TM1 »

Thanks for all your replies - Tomok, Michel, Lotsaram. This helps me conclude my search.

Thanks,
Paul.