Weird process names

VV_VV
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0...
Excel Version: 2016

Weird process names

Post by VV_VV »

Hello,

I started seeing process names that look like this: {9080a8e1-dbec-4f2b-8482-2702fsd5v37c}. They only have a file connection reference, nothing else. What are they, and where did they come from?

Thanks!
Adam
OLAP Product: IBM PA
Version: 2.0.9.x
Excel Version: Microsoft 365 x64

Re: Weird process names

Post by Adam »

In which tool? Workspace? Architect? Performance Modeler? Arc?
Take care.
Adam
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

These are most likely unregistered processes which are created (and destroyed after executing) on the fly.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Adam
OLAP Product: IBM PA
Version: 2.0.9.x
Excel Version: Microsoft 365 x64

Post by Adam »

lotsaram wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:11 pm These are most likely unregistered processes which are created (and destroyed after executing) on the fly.
I’m not familiar with this concept at all. How or when is an unregistered process created?
Take care.
Adam
VV_VV
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0...
Excel Version: 2016

Post by VV_VV »

I saw them on the server everywhere: Architect, PAW, Data folder. It turned out they were generated when an admin user manually created a dimension in PAW. I would expect them to be deleted later, but it did not happen.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Adam wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:47 pm I’m not familiar with this concept at all. How or when is an unregistered process created?
The Rest API allows to run an "unbound" or "unregistered" process where the process definition is passed, the process runs and then it's gone. The process is never registered as an object on the server and a .pro file is never created. You can think of it being like defining and running a function on the fly or the TI equivalent of a temporary subset or view.

When an unbound process runs you see either a GUID in the server message log or an empty string for the process name. I had assumed that the OP was seeing the process GUID names in the message log or maybe in a thread monitor session. However from the OP's description the processes with the weird GUID names aren't temporary but are permanently created. This seems like a bug in PAW as this is the sort of thing you would expect to use an unbound process for as opposed to creating a (permanent) process on the fly.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.