Unload cube before changing rules

Adam
OLAP Product: IBM PA
Version: 2.0.9.x
Excel Version: Microsoft 365 x64

Unload cube before changing rules

Post by Adam »

Learned something today that I figured I would share for people new to TM1. I'm pretty sure the veterans are going to say this is well known, but I still think it's good to document.

Everyone's going to come across needing to change rules for an existing cube with data. Historically what I’ve done is to simply edit the rules, save, then wait about 60 seconds+ for the rules editor to become responsive again while billions of gears are turning in the background.
When checking the server log, there was always a line item after a rule edit:

Code: Select all

TM1.Server   TM1CubeImpl::ProcessFeeders(in 60000ms): Done computing feeders for base cube 'XXXXX’.
Sitting there waiting was kind of annoying so I figured I would experiment. What happens if I unload the cube first? Since there's nothing in memory for that cube after an unload, would TM1 really try to recalculate feeders?
I run Unload Cube, then edit the rules file, what do you know:

Code: Select all

TM1.Server   TM1CubeImpl::ProcessFeeders(in 78ms): Done computing feeders for base cube 'XXXXX’.
Of course I have to bite the bullet eventually to look at the results, but still better than staring at a frozen rules editor.
Take care.
Adam