REST API - Pull data for data warehouse

mayliwk
OLAP Product: TM1/Planning Analytics
Version: v2.0.9.1
Excel Version: Office 365

REST API - Pull data for data warehouse

Post by mayliwk »

Currently, we have a file being created that we are moving for the data warehouse consumption and reporting purposes. We are currently looking to see if we could pull the data we want with the REST API. We have the API up and running and I am able to get results in Postman but... I can not find any documentation on formatting the data into a useful JSON format. Do any parameters exist that would allow me to pull the data in a flat format?

The only documentation I have seen show this query string for the api: $expand=Axes($expand=Hierarchies($select=Name),Tuples($expand=Members($select=Name))),Cells
I have used both the View and MDX execute to pull data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: REST API - Pull data for data warehouse

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi,
I'm not going to able to help directly other than to suggest that you look at TM1PY, which provides a python wrapper around the RESTApi.

Assuming you have access to some python skills it may be more straightfoward than doing this in REST from the ground up.

Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
macsir
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.9

Post by macsir »

Have a read about one of the IBM official manuals. You definitely can implement this by any programming languages.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... t_api.html
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
mayliwk
OLAP Product: TM1/Planning Analytics
Version: v2.0.9.1

Post by mayliwk »

Steve Rowe wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:48 pm Hi,
I'm not going to able to help directly other than to suggest that you look at TM1PY, which provides a python wrapper around the RESTApi.

Assuming you have access to some python skills it may be more straightfoward than doing this in REST from the ground up.

Cheers,
Thanks for the reply.

We are looking into TM1PY. We are currently spinning up a sandbox for our ETL tool to try it out there. I was just hoping I may have missed a parameter for the api that could format the response.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

TM1PY is hands down the best way to go. But if you are insistent on doing it by hand then you could have a dig round the TM1PY library to find out what that does to format the response.
Watch out for volume issues - I've seen writeups by Paul Simon inter alia that Web Services aren't good for bulk data. I doubt that would be an issue on the TM1 side though, though you might have to split up the view for memory issues.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

I don't know what your volume of data is going to be but if it is anything more than a few thousand records or so this is definitely NOT the way to go. While the new REST API is great for standardized data access from the TM1 engine, there is a tremendous amount of overhead in it. If you are talking about basically a data dump out of a cube for importing into a DW then I would never use the REST API. A TI process that generates a flat file for uploading into the DW is going to be the way to go.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/