TM1 Architect & Web are not responding when trying to login

j.calibs
OLAP Product: IBM PAL
Version: IBM PAL 11.0
Excel Version: Version 1908

TM1 Architect & Web are not responding when trying to login

Post by j.calibs »

Hi,

I currently have 4 TM1 servers, but when I'm trying to login to any server TM1 Architect suddenly freezes. I tried logging in TM1 Web but after I input my credentials, no response was being received. And whenever I'm trying to stop the server, I always encounter an error message "Unable to Stop TM1 service" (service is in a "Stopping state"), so Im using taskkill to stop it.

I've tried updating the Tm1p.ini to align the AdminHost same to the tm1s configuration of the servers. I also tried adding IPaddress=T configuration but it still doesn't work.

Can anyone please help me with this?
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: TM1 Architect & Web are not responding when trying to login

Post by tomok »

Do you configure each of the TM1 services to use a different port number? https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... 65740.html
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
j.calibs

Post by j.calibs »

Yes. They have a different port.
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Elessar »

If you cannot stop server, it's 100% not on client side, so Tm1p.ini configuration will not help.
Try to login and see what's happening in TM1top

What authentication mode do you use?
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
burnstripe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics

Post by burnstripe »

When you trigger stopping the service the model attempts to save all the data in memory to disk (aka a savedataall). Before the service can commit this data to disk any locks/running processes will be resolved first before coming to a halt. If it's taking a long while to stop they'll be something locking or running.

By ending via task manager you're effectively terminating this process so when the service reboots it'll only contain data from when the last savedata occurred. Any transactions newer than this it'll attempt to recover from the transaction log but it may be unsuccessful and could take a while.

1st thing to check when it occurs again though is look at what threads are running on the server, tm1top, operations console and paw admin monitoring will all show what threads/activity is running. Tm1top.exe is located in the bin folder of your install on the server. You may need to configure a file Tm1top.ini to get it working.

If that doesn't help show who and what process/action is causing the lock then it may be the tm1s.log has become corrupt and it is hanging trying to restore it. In which case stop the service take a back up of the file and delete the original tm1s.log and then restart the service.

There's a lot of potential scenarios that could cause this behaviour and it may even be specific to your version of the software. But looking at active threads is definitely the next step I would take
j.calibs

Post by j.calibs »

Elessar wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:33 pm If you cannot stop server, it's 100% not on client side, so Tm1p.ini configuration will not help.
Try to login and see what's happening in TM1top

What authentication mode do you use?
Our authentication mode is 1.

I've tried running the TM1top while logging in but it only shows logs below
8260 ??? - Login SystemServerConnect - - -
j.calibs

Post by j.calibs »

burnstripe wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:59 pm When you trigger stopping the service the model attempts to save all the data in memory to disk (aka a savedataall). Before the service can commit this data to disk any locks/running processes will be resolved first before coming to a halt. If it's taking a long while to stop they'll be something locking or running.

By ending via task manager you're effectively terminating this process so when the service reboots it'll only contain data from when the last savedata occurred. Any transactions newer than this it'll attempt to recover from the transaction log but it may be unsuccessful and could take a while.

1st thing to check when it occurs again though is look at what threads are running on the server, tm1top, operations console and paw admin monitoring will all show what threads/activity is running. Tm1top.exe is located in the bin folder of your install on the server. You may need to configure a file Tm1top.ini to get it working.

If that doesn't help show who and what process/action is causing the lock then it may be the tm1s.log has become corrupt and it is hanging trying to restore it. In which case stop the service take a back up of the file and delete the original tm1s.log and then restart the service.

There's a lot of potential scenarios that could cause this behaviour and it may even be specific to your version of the software. But looking at active threads is definitely the next step I would take
Thank you for your reply.

I've tried tm1top but only below entries are showing since my architect is freezing after trying to login.
8260 ??? - Login SystemServerConnect - - -

I'm sorry if I'm not that knowledgeable in TM1. I will try deleting the tm1s.log so I stop the services, but since it is stopped, tm1s.log didn't exist anymore since the current tm1s.log file is renamed to tm1s<timestamp>.log. Which one should I delete? I tried deleting the tm1server.log but nothing happened.

I'm sorry again but I don't know much about TM1.
j.calibs

Post by j.calibs »

I also tried if the replicate server will work and it worked fine (It has a different port too). So I'm really confused why I can't access the other 4 servers. I'm really stuck and don't know what to do anymore.
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

Since all of your servers are inaccessible, have you tried killing all of them at the same time before restarting?
It suggests that you could have an issue with the admin server so I would try:
  • 1/ Stop/Kill all tm1 services
    2/ Restart the Admin Server
    3/ Start the services 1 by 1 to see if they are accessible
Then it would let you narrow down which service could be your culprit.

I don't quite get what you mean by replicate server but I am assuming its just using a different Admin Server.
Declan Rodger
burnstripe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics

Post by burnstripe »

When you attempt to log into tm1 are any errors showing in the tm1server.log

What version of TM1/Planning Analytics are you on?

It may also be worth trying to start just one of the TM1 models and see if you can access that before starting them all