Creating Dimensions Using Referentials .How does i work ?Where to learn about it

pikolikoli
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Creating Dimensions Using Referentials .How does i work ?Where to learn about it

Post by pikolikoli »

Hello Everyone,

I saw some people use referentials to create dimensions and it's elements. Basicaly from what I understood the referential is a worksheet where they declare the dimensions and its simple element , comsolidated elements,attributes ...etc.

I would Like to know what is the steps we should follow to create the referenciel ? Does it have another name , a known name defined by IBM documentation so I couldlook it up ?

Also after creating this referencial how can we execute it to create the dimensions ? I only know that they dont use processes to import this sheet.

If there is any ressources where I can learn about it to understand it please share it with me it will help alot.

Thank you
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Creating Dimensions Using Referentials .How does i work ?Where to learn about it

Post by Alan Kirk »

pikolikoli wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 am I saw some people use referentials to create dimensions and it's elements. Basicaly from what I understood the referential is a worksheet where they declare the dimensions and its simple element , comsolidated elements,attributes ...etc.

I would Like to know what is the steps we should follow to create the referenciel ? Does it have another name , a known name defined by IBM documentation so I couldlook it up ?
I don't know where the hell you picked up the name "referential" from, but what you're referring to is an .xdi. An .xdi is a standard Excel workbook (in any format; .xls. xlsx, .xlb or whatever) with a non-standard file extension. (Specifically, .xdi.) They are described here.

Note that they will not work for you if you are using alternative hierarchies in the PA2 sense of the term. For a classic dimension with roll-ups, they're fine and sometimes better than the alternatives. Unless, that is, you are using 64 bit Excel in which case you may hit some issues as described here.
pikolikoli wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 am Also after creating this referencial how can we execute it to create the dimensions ? I only know that they dont use processes to import this sheet.
TM1 ribbon, Developer group -> Dimension Save.
pikolikoli wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 am If there is any ressources where I can learn about it to understand it please share it with me it will help alot.
See the link above.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
pikolikoli

Re: Creating Dimensions Using Referentials .How does i work ?Where to learn about it

Post by pikolikoli »

Alan Kirk wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:43 am
pikolikoli wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 am I saw some people use referentials to create dimensions and it's elements. Basicaly from what I understood the referential is a worksheet where they declare the dimensions and its simple element , comsolidated elements,attributes ...etc.

I don't know where the hell you picked up the name "referential" from, but what you're referring to is an .xdi. An .xdi is a standard Excel workbook (in any format; .xls. xlsx, .xlb or whatever) with a non-standard file extension. (Specifically, .xdi.) They are described here.

Note that they will not work for you if you are using alternative hierarchies in the PA2 sense of the term. For a classic dimension with roll-ups, they're fine and sometimes better than the alternatives. Unless, that is, you are using 64 bit Excel in which case you may hit some issues as described here.
pikolikoli wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 am Also after creating this referencial how can we execute it to create the dimensions ? I only know that they dont use processes to import this sheet.
TM1 ribbon, Developer group -> Dimension Save.
pikolikoli wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:36 am If there is any ressources where I can learn about it to understand it please share it with me it will help alot.
See the link above.

Thank you So much Alan. This is very helpfull

The naming 'Referentiel' is what is used in some companies. I think it is a key word used by clients so it became a norme I guess.

Thank you
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

pikolikoli wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:15 amThank you So much Alan. This is very helpfull

The naming 'Referentiel' is what is used in some companies. I think it is a key word used by clients so it became a norme I guess.

Thank you
Could it be that you're a French speaking person natively ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Wim Gielis wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:35 pm
pikolikoli wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:15 amThank you So much Alan. This is very helpfull

Thank you
Could it be that you're a French speaking person natively ?
That's a really interesting point; though if that is the case, it didn't come from IBM's documetah-sion Frans-aise:
Une feuille de dimension est une feuille de calcul Microsoft Excel modifiée, dans laquelle vous répertoriez les éléments et les relations hiérarchiques pour une dimension. TM1 enregistre les données de la feuille de dimension dans deux fichiers : la feuille de dimension (dimname.xdi) et le fichier compilé (dimname.dim).
Je ne parle pas très bien français (except for that last sentence, "parlez vous anglais", and "parlez vous italien", which I know by heart), but if Google Translate is to be trusted (which I know from Italian it frequently isn't):
A dimension sheet is a modified Microsoft Excel worksheet, in which you list the items and hierarchical relationships for a dimension. TM1 saves the dimension sheet data in two files: the dimension sheet (dimname.xdi) and the compiled file (dimname.dim).
I can find only three uses of the word "référentiel" in the IBM French documentation, and all of them relate to TM1 Web. I suppose that an .xdi is a form of repository, but it seems to be a stretch of the term. However as I said... Je ne parle pas très bien français.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

I know that référentiel is used to set up dimensions. Actually, my colleagues in Paris have such a module, called référentiel, to quickly create dimensions. Similar to xdi but then in TM1 Web and a TI process with action button to create / update a chosen dimension. It's more of a template in fact, to update and maintain dimensions.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
pikolikoli

Post by pikolikoli »

Wim Gielis wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:49 pm I know that référentiel is used to set up dimensions. Actually, my colleagues in Paris have such a module, called référentiel, to quickly create dimensions. Similar to xdi but then in TM1 Web and a TI process with action button to create / update a chosen dimension. It's more of a template in fact, to update and maintain dimensions.
Yes True, I work in a french speaking company where they use this term 'Referentiel'. Thanks Wim for the clarifications.

I would like to ask you do you know somewhere where I can read about how this template work and how it is created ?

Thanks
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

pikolikoli wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:35 amYes True, I work in a french speaking company where they use this term 'Referentiel'. Thanks Wim for the clarifications.

I would like to ask you do you know somewhere where I can read about how this template work and how it is created ?
So I was right 😀

This template belongs to our colleagues in Paris. It’s their IP. I know it’s an Excel sheet containing several tabs with DBRW formulas and action buttons. The goal is to create and maintain dimensions. I’m afraid I cannot share more details but I know that they will deploy it during their projects at the customer. Hint hint 😉😄
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
pikolikoli

Post by pikolikoli »

Wim Gielis wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:41 am
pikolikoli wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:35 amYes True, I work in a french speaking company where they use this term 'Referentiel'. Thanks Wim for the clarifications.

So I was right 😀

This template belongs to our colleagues in Paris. It’s their IP. I know it’s an Excel sheet containing several tabs with DBRW formulas and action buttons. The goal is to create and maintain dimensions. I’m afraid I cannot share more details but I know that they will deploy it during their projects at the customer. Hint hint 😉😄
Thank you So Much Win :D Now I understand what is this referencial. I"ll Make sure to hunt the moment they will modify the dimensions so I can understand more about it 8-) .

Thank you Again for your time and your help :)
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

pikolikoli wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:21 amI"ll Make sure to hunt the moment they will modify the dimensions so I can understand more about it 8-) .
Does your company use that template / référentiel ? Or did you only make a general comment about understanding what is going on with the dimensions ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024