Custom PAW Menus

tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Custom PAW Menus

Post by tomok »

We have been on the IBM Cloud for a while but are just now working on a project to migrate everything from TM1Web to the PAW interface. What I am wondering is if anyone has any tricks or ideas for a menu system in PAW. We currently have a lot of menus and navigation stuff built using Action Buttons that directs users to the appropriate menu, report, or form. The thing I have always hated about this was the inability to dynamically generate those action buttons. Whenever a new form/report is added we have to manually add a new button to the menu and republish. I looked into generating these using data from a cube and presenting them as HYPERLINK formulas but 1) that made them hyperlinks and not buttons (meaning lack of ability to make them look good) and 2) hyperlinks want to open a new TM1Web window instead of opening in the same browser window like with the action button.

I know that PAW adds a lot of new functionality. Is there something in that new functionality that lends itself to creating a custom menuing system for when everything is displayed in the PAW interface?
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Custom PAW Menus

Post by lotsaram »

This is one area where IBM appears to have learned nothing from the shortcomings of TM1 Web. Basically all of the "legacy issues" of building and maintaining applications in TM1 Web are still there in Workspace.
- you design a "menu" using buttons. A module or book gets added/deleted/name changed. You need to make the change EVERYWHERE
- tediously aligning buttons or other components
- no proper design response to screen size. If you have PC, tablet & mobile users you need to design separate applications
- Change to corporate style or logo, again need to change it EVERYWHERE
- Etc.
- Etc.

There are a lot of good things about Workspace (especially the latest 2.0.59 release which is a huge step forward) but I am still left scratching my head and wondering if anyone from IBM Product Management actually talked to developers at big customers on the requirements of actually developing and running a business critical PA applications.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
MarenC
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Re: Custom PAW Menus

Post by MarenC »

I agree with lotsaram, but the dashboards do look good in sales demos!