MarenC
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

PAW on Windows server 2019

Post by MarenC »

Hi,

Does anyone know if Workspace will work on Windows Server 2019?

Maren
Emixam
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2016

Re: PAW on Windows server 2019

Post by Emixam »

**EDIT: I didn't saw the question was about Workspace.

Based on an IBM Software product compatibility report, PAW is only available for the following Windows server:
  • Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Edition Base x86-64
  • Windows Server 2016 Essentials Edition Base x86-64
  • Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition Base x86-64
Last edited by Emixam on Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Have not seen anything confirming PAW on Server 2019, only articles saying it is not like this one.

Roadmap sounds like containers, OpenShift, RHEL but stand to be corrected.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

gtonkin wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:49 pm Have not seen anything confirming PAW on Server 2019, only articles saying it is not like this one.
Oh silly me. Now I realise the error of my ways. Here I was thinking that I would be on safe ground trying to get the goddamn abomination called PAW to run on a Windows Server 2019 environment since the version has only been out for over two freaking years. I should have checked.

Do you know how many problems I've had running Docker in a Windows environment for relational databases since I started doing that a couple of months ago? SQL Server, PostgreSQL, My SQL... how many problems do you think I've had running those in both Windows Server 2019 and Windows 10? Go ahead, guess.

Not. A. Frapping. One. Installation, port redirection, all that, smooth as a baby's backside covered in silk.

The only piece of cr@p that I CANNOT get to talk to anything outside its own little box (when I can get it to install at all) is named PAW. I should have realised that support for a 2 year old O/S is just too much to ask. That, and getting IBM to clue itself into the fact that if it does NOT pull its finger out on this, some sites WILL NOT (do you understand those two words, IBM? WILL. NOT.) allow Linux boxes in an all-Windows shop just to run one sodding user interface. (Like, oh, mine for example.) Nor will they willingly bind themselves into prior versions of the O/S.

Un-frapping-believable. :roll:

Oh, and thanks for the pointer, George. I should have added; I know that the thread that you pointed to was from late 2019, but according to the Software Compatibility Tool (I selected PAW specifically, though to see that you need to click on the View link) this is still the case:
PA2Support.png
PA2Support.png (199.1 KiB) Viewed 7889 times
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
MarenC
Regular Participant
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by MarenC »

Thanks for the replies.

Yes Alan they were exactly my sentiments when it fell over!
JamiseBondi
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by JamiseBondi »

Makes for an interesting read.

So how many of you guys are running PAW on windows 2016 in a production environment... successfully and painlessly?
I was told that IBM had a plan for a dockerless version of PAW, and that was due for release in Q4 of 2019, then was delayed to Q2 of 2020, then Covid apparently altered their plans... to a roadmap where they are focused on RHEL and Openshift for on-prem and Cloud Pak for Data for their cloud offering. There's not much in there for windows customers on-prem is there?
burnstripe
Regular Participant
Version: 2.0.9

Post by burnstripe »

I've installed it on a number of clients using Windows server 2016 (some with ssl), normally takes me between 1/2 hour on a very good day to a day if I'm having a debug what service is interfering. Since they've included docker in the script back around version 45 it has been easier.

There are still a lot of gotchas though, error messages are not always that clear (if any displayed) and really does not play nice with some monitoring tools/antivirus setups.

Once it's running it tends to run fine, as long is the containers are stopped before running any server patching, server reboots
thosas
Version: 10.2.2

Post by thosas »

I found this page saying it is now supported: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/planning-an ... erver-2019

However, the software compatibility tool still shows it as unsupported and if you dig deeper into the documentation, it still only talks about 2016.

So frustrating when you have customers asking for information and you can't get a sensible answer from the vendor.
thosas
Version: 10.2.2

Post by thosas »

thosas wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:10 am I found this page saying it is now supported: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/planning-an ... erver-2019

However, the software compatibility tool still shows it as unsupported and if you dig deeper into the documentation, it still only talks about 2016.

So frustrating when you have customers asking for information and you can't get a sensible answer from the vendor.
Ugh! Ignore me, it was too early in the morning, I misread and didn't pick up that it said Planning Analytics Local, rather than Workspace.
Paul Coggan

Post by Paul Coggan »

With the release of PAW version 2.0.74 PAW is now supported on Windows Server 2019.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Paul Coggan wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:02 am With the release of PAW version 2.0.74 PAW is now supported on Windows Server 2019.
It is. It's covered in the thread to be found here, and this one here. Still, I'm glad that you posted that because this thread could do with the update. I had forgotten about it before now.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.