Performance impact of many timestamped transaction logs

Adam
OLAP Product: IBM PA
Version: 2.0.9.x
Excel Version: Microsoft 365 x64

Performance impact of many timestamped transaction logs

Post by Adam »

Hello all,

In our environment we have a daily SaveDataAll chore running during off-hours. As a consequence, we have accumulated many timestamped tm1s*.log file as we don't presently archive these.

I recall from a prior thread there IS a performance hit with keeping the timestamp'd transaction logs in the log folder when using the Architect transaction log tool. Besides this, any other performance considerations? e.g. with startup? I'm thinking not, but wanted to get the wisdom of the experts.

Thanks!
Take care.
Adam
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Performance impact of many timestamped transaction logs

Post by tomok »

Adam wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:28 pm Hello all,

In our environment we have a daily SaveDataAll chore running during off-hours. As a consequence, we have accumulated many timestamped tm1s*.log file as we don't presently archive these.

I recall from a prior thread there IS a performance hit with keeping the timestamp'd transaction logs in the log folder when using the Architect transaction log tool. Besides this, any other performance considerations? e.g. with startup? I'm thinking not, but wanted to get the wisdom of the experts.

Thanks!
The only impact would be on the Architect transaction log searching or if you wanted to back something out. In either case, you would still be crazy not to have a nightly SaveData.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/