Transaction Log search not working

jed
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.9.4
Excel Version: 2016

Transaction Log search not working

Post by jed »

Since we upgrade to PA the transaction log search functionality does not appear to work. Sometimes it will say xxx records found then return nothing...but most of the time it can't find anything despite me being able to manually locate it in one of the transaction logs.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a setting somewhere that has been missed?
Using PA 2.07.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Transaction Log search not working

Post by Alan Kirk »

jed wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:04 pm Since we upgrade to PA the transaction log search functionality does not appear to work. Sometimes it will say xxx records found
Based on what I've seen in the past I have a sneaking suspicion that it's reporting the records in total which match the base query, rather than the ones that match the filters that you may have applied (like user, cost centre, whatever). I can't prove it but I also can't trust that number (if any) because when I just ran a test (2.0.6) the box showed absolutely nothing despite the dialog returning plenty of records.
jed wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:04 pm then return nothing...but most of the time it can't find anything despite me being able to manually locate it in one of the transaction logs.
I've noticed that there has been an issue with the transaction log for a few versions now, especially if it immediately returns an empty list, and doubly so if it has been a while since the last data save. Doing a new data save will quite often wake it up. "Oh? Transaction logs? Those things? Now I remember! Here you are!"
jed wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:04 pm Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a setting somewhere that has been missed?
Using PA 2.07.
The main problem that I have had since moving to PA2 isn't that one. Rather it's that there will be times (and needless to say I can't reproduce it at the moment, go figure) where I query the server log, then the log just... hangs. Pulse shows that a thread is running to retrieve the next lines from the log files but it takes metaphorical forever to end. Kill the thread? It ignores it. Kill the client? The function keeps running. It doesn't seem to affect most of the other functions on the server but it can sit there for a couple of hours doing nothing of substance.

It's actually made me nervous to use the transaction log query at the moment. Mostly I just do a data save and look in the saved logs.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jed

Post by jed »

damn, I guess now I'll need to try and work out if it's been officially reported as a bug with IBM. I'm sure the response will be "you need to upgrade" :roll:

Handy functionality to have when users accidentally change thousands of records and you need to back them out....
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

jed wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:02 am damn, I guess now I'll need to try and work out if it's been officially reported as a bug with IBM. I'm sure the response will be "you need to upgrade" :roll:
The problem is that I for one haven't found a way of getting to to happen in a reproducible manner. Oh it (actually all of the "its" that I referred to above) happen often enough... but I've not yet found a causal link so that I can say "If you do this, then you get that result". Without that IBM doesn't feel all that accommodating about bug reports. (And sometimes not even when you CAN demonstrate a causal link. Repeat after me; "It's by design!" :roll: )
jed wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:02 am Handy functionality to have when users accidentally change thousands of records and you need to back them out....
Roger that.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
MariusWirtz
Version: 10.2.2.6

Post by MariusWirtz »

Hi,

@jed
Are you using good old Architect to filter the transaction log?

Architect is using the old C API which isn't going to be supported moving forward.
I'm just guessing here, but perhaps it works if you filter the transactionlog with the REST API.
You could either do it with postman or with TM1py.

Here is sample how to do it with TM1py:
https://gist.github.com/MariusWirtz/1dd ... a8d1169585

Good thing about the TM1py approach is that after you retrieved all entries that match your filter criteria,
you could apply further filtering with py (e.g. search for updates on a specific element in a dimension).

PS
the filter arguments on the transaction log are case sensitive in the REST API. Be careful :)
jorelb
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics Cloud
Version: 2.0.9 IF (2)

Post by jorelb »

There was a fix to the transaction log on PA 2.0.9.
Not sure if the fix addresses your specific situation.

PH16199: INVALID TRANSACTION LOG ID
jed

Post by jed »

OMG @MariusWirtz this is gold :) I must learn more about TM1py.....
MariusWirtz wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:09 pm Hi,

@jed
Are you using good old Architect to filter the transaction log?

Architect is using the old C API which isn't going to be supported moving forward.
I'm just guessing here, but perhaps it works if you filter the transactionlog with the REST API.
You could either do it with postman or with TM1py.

Here is sample how to do it with TM1py:
https://gist.github.com/MariusWirtz/1dd ... a8d1169585

Good thing about the TM1py approach is that after you retrieved all entries that match your filter criteria,
you could apply further filtering with py (e.g. search for updates on a specific element in a dimension).

PS
the filter arguments on the transaction log are case sensitive in the REST API. Be careful :)