moby91
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Re: Local Backup

Post by moby91 »

ykud wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:29 am
David Usherwood wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:47 pm Indeed. But on IBM SaaS, you have to raise a ticket to get utilities like 7Zip installed.
AFAIK, you don't have to 'install' 7-zip, it's available as standalone executable, so you just need to upload it to the tm1 server (any of the shared folders you have access to) and it should work.
The technique of using a portable version of 7-Zip (or other tools like Notepad++) with Planning Analytics has been used by cloud customers since at least September 2016:

https://cogknowhow.tm1.dk/archives/249
Script to backup TM1 data folder to a ZIP file

September 9, 2016 by Roger

Product:
Planning Analytics (TM1 10.3 in the cloud)

Problem:
How do you copy my data folder to a zip file for backup during development?

Solution:
Drag and drop the 7za.exe file to the desktop in the cloud from your computer when you are in a Remote Desktop Session to the TM1 server.
moby91
MVP
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

declanr wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:14 pm In terms of the Enterprise solutions; last time I checked the default comes with 64gb of RAM and 200gb of disk space included in the user licence pricing.
Then with regards to the disk space query you can buy specific part numbers of additional 250gb increments for circa £500 gbp per annum (last time I checked) which doesn't seem too bad at all.
And of course you can also add additional RAM.
According to the Planning Analytics Service Description
- the standard Planning Analytics offering includes a Shared Folder of 200 GB disk space.
- the optional premium offering includes a Shared Folder of 1 TB disk space.
- there is an option to increase the size of the Shared Folder by chunks of an additional 250 GB disk space.

AFAIK there is an option to increase the size of the Shared Folder by chunks of an additional 1 TB disk space when you subscribed the premium offering. You have to check with IBM.

The links:

https://www-03.ibm.com/software/sla/sladb.nsf/sla/sd
Cloud Services terms
Terms for Cloud Services offerings

Cloud Services service descriptions

Generally available offerings
- IBM Planning Analytics (06-2020) (03-2019) (11-2018) (04-2018) (04-2017) (01-2017) (10-2015) (05-2014) (02-2014)

https://www-03.ibm.com/software/sla/sla ... _en_US.pdf
Service Description
IBM Planning Analytics

This Service Description describes the Cloud Service. The applicable order documents provide pricing and additional details about Client's order.

1.1 Offerings

1.1.1 IBM Planning Analytics

IBM Planning Analytics Cloud Service includes:

a. One (1) IBM Planning Analytics production Instance, including:
- Two hundred gigabytes (200GB) of shared folder space for the TM1 database tier
b. One (1) IBM Planning Analytics Non-Production Instance, including:
- Two hundred gigabytes (200GB) of shared folder space for the TM1 database tier

1.2 Optional Services

The following Optional Services are not applicable to the IBM Planning Analytics Digital Pack and IBM Planning Analytics On Demand tenants.

1.2.2 IBM Planning Analytics Premium Instance

This offering increases the capacity ... one terabyte (1TB) of shared folder disk space ...

1.2.7 IBM Planning Analytics Additional Planning Storage

This offering allows Client to designate an additional 250 GB of shared folder disk space on the TM1 database tier to either the Production or a Non-Production Instance of the Cloud Service.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

I'm intrigued to know whether dropping EXE files onto the TM1 cloud environment is formally permitted by IBM's SaaS Ts&Cs?
ykud
MVP

Post by ykud »

kangkc wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:48 pm Insetad of 7-zip, I used PowerShell System.IO.Compression.FileSystem to perform the zipping.
Alternatively you can use Powershell Compress-Archive cmdlet. All thee are available on Windows Server as long as PowerShell is not disabled.
No installation of 3rd party software.
Sorry for raising the dust, just wanted to make sure that whoever finds this thread (as I did just now) is aware that PowerShell cmdlets (and underlying IO.Compression .Net APIs) have a limitation on the file limit, you cannot compress a file larger than 2 GB.
As per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powers ... rshell-7.1
The Compress-Archive cmdlet uses the Microsoft .NET API System.IO.Compression.ZipArchive to compress files. The maximum file size is 2 GB because there's a limitation of the underlying API.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

David Usherwood wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:36 am I'm intrigued to know whether dropping EXE files onto the TM1 cloud environment is formally permitted by IBM's SaaS Ts&Cs?
Last week I implemented a backup functionality with 7zip for a cloud customer.
Either you copy over the file 7za.exe and call it. Either you copy over the files 7z.exe and 7z.dll and call the exe file. No installation needed.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
MarenC
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by MarenC »

Hi,
Sorry for raising the dust, just wanted to make sure that whoever finds this thread (as I did just now) is aware that PowerShell cmdlets (and underlying IO.Compression .Net APIs) have a limitation on the file limit, you cannot compress a file larger than 2 GB.
Is it me or is there also a limit on 7-ZIP? I have a backup routine which uses 7 zip to back up the model, but this is done via a TI process (using Execute command) and it calls a batch script.

The script is as follows:

Code: Select all

CD /D "Directory\7-Zip"
7z.exe -t7z -m0=lzma2:d1024m -mx=9 -aoa -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on -mhe=on -sdel -pEXPassword a "Directory\%date:~6,4%-%date:~3,2%-%date:~0,2%_%Time:~0,2%%Time:~3,2%_Model-Bkup.zip" "Directory\%date:~6,4%-%date:~3,2%-%date:~0,2%_%Time:~0,2%%Time:~3,2%_Model-Bkup"
I find that not everything gets back up and it seems to be related to the size of the folder being backed up.

Maren
Emixam
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Emixam »

Hello MarenC,

How big is your file ? I'm able to compress a 14GB file with the following command

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exe" a -tzip  "C:\Users\test\testZip.zip" "C:\Users\TM1\Datafiles\"
Also when you run your command from the command prompt, do you get the "Everything is Ok" message ?
Drg
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10.2.0 - 10.3.0
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Drg »

I'll add my five cents.
Not all types of archives support Unicode in filenames(yes objects may names as chines or russian character etc//) in my practice, it is best to use zip? but not for model folders with persistence feeders :) .
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Elessar wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:00 pm There is an RFE to include 7zip, and it has "planned" status: https://ibm-data-and-ai.ideas.aha.io/ideas/PAOP-I-245
Not any more it doesn't, as of yesterday. If you've been following the history of enhancements that matter to CUSTOMERS rather than the IBM development team, you won't have to guess too hard who wrote this:
Not under consideration. IBM is working to remove the requirements for a rich client tier. This includes providing a web based user experience to manage files, including file compression and decompressions for files being FTPed to and from the Planning Analytics on Cloud environments.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Nermal
OLAP Product: PA Cloud
Version: PA Cloud
Excel Version: 2019

Post by Nermal »

Hi, we are running PA in a SaaS environment.

We were informed that 7zip was allowed and we use it every night for our backup run from as a chore.

We also use robocopy in mirror mode to keep an exact backup every night (that we then run 7 zip against).

We also use Python to retrieve the backup compressed backup when it's marked as completed (A semaphore file is created at the end of the zip process so you don't get half a backup).

Happy to share the code if you want it.

P.S. The 7 zip switches we use are :

vZipSwitches = '-mx5 -r -xr!*.log -xr!*.feeders -xr!*.raw -xr!*$ -mmt -t7z -ms=on -p"<YOUR PASSWORD HERE>" -y';

so we dont get any unneeded files compresses (E.G We have persistent feeders as default.)
Nermal
OLAP Product: PA Cloud
Version: PA Cloud
Excel Version: 2019

Post by Nermal »

Hi, we are running PA in a SaaS environment.

We were informed that 7zip was allowed and we use it every night for our backup run from as a chore.

We also use robocopy in mirror mode to keep an exact backup every night (that we then run 7 zip against).

We also use Python to retrieve the backup compressed backup when it's marked as completed (A semaphore file is created at the end of the zip process so you don't get half a backup).

Happy to share the code if you want it.

P.S. The 7 zip switches we use are :

vZipSwitches = '-mx5 -r -xr!*.log -xr!*.feeders -xr!*.raw -xr!*$ -mmt -t7z -ms=on -p"<YOUR PASSWORD HERE>" -y';

so we dont get any unneeded files compresses (E.G We have persistent feeders as default.)