A way to find used Views

HighKeys
OLAP Product: TM1 / TM1 Web / Perspectives
Version: Planning Analytics V2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

A way to find used Views

Post by HighKeys »

Hello Community!

i'm searching a way to see which View is in use and which is "dead".

We have so many views saved for our very small model, so the requirement from the controlling department is that every view gets updated correctly (to the current year etc) even if its a old view which are never used. But if i know 100% nobody is using the view i could delete it.

In the Stats cubes i can't find any infomation about the usage of views, is there a smart way to find this out?

We are on PA 2.0.9 and Analytics v11.x

We also have the Cubewise Arc in trial.

Thanks for your help!
ascheevel
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 365

Re: A way to find used Views

Post by ascheevel »

Are you looking to clean up views used in TI processes or views used by endusers? If the former, you could use the Rest API and loop through all processes whose ._datasource_type == 'TM1CubeView'. If the latter, I don't have a good suggestion for you. I believe you can configure a TM1Web logger to track what views are being opened, but not sure about Architect/Perspectives. It's a bit drastic, but you could identify views that you suspect are no longer used (what you base your suspicions on is up to you), change the view name to something with a prefix like "zDeleteSoon__[view name]", and wait for someone to complain about a missing view. If you don't receive any complaints after waiting a length of time you deem sufficient, the view likely wasn't used and can be deleted. You mention that your model is small, is your user base also small? Is it feasible to pick one cube, identify who has access to the cube, and ask those individuals to note which non-TI views they regularly use? In that way, you could do a quarterly/monthly cubeview review, one cube per cycle to keep the list smaller.

It likely doesn't need mentioning and I bet you're already doing this in many cases, but if you have a cubeview that should always display the current year (or prior, next, etc), best to use a subset instead of static list so you only need to update the subset and not individual views.
orlando
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.8

Post by orlando »

HighKeys wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:17 am is there a smart way to find this out?

i am more drastic. i make a backup of the views, delete the ones we (controller and me) think are no longer needed. if someone screams, we copy the view back.
but of course we only do this for the public views and not the private ones of the users, the users themselves are responsible for the maintenance
HighKeys
OLAP Product: TM1 / TM1 Web / Perspectives
Version: Planning Analytics V2.0.9

Post by HighKeys »

Hi,

@ascheevel

Thanks for your answer, nice way i will implement this for the tmp views i use in processes (sometimes they dont clean up correctly). But the question above was for Enduser Public Views.

Edit: Also nice with rename the views! Actally i'm relative new to TM1 and also in the company, they used many static subsets for actual month, YTD, and many views with the current year/month but all static, so i started do switch to mdx subsets and update some of them daily with a TI Process.

i will check if i can find something in the TM1 Web Logger (Many views are just used in TM1 Web, cause our Finance working with Web not with Perspectives (or the most of them))

@orlando

Also a nice way :lol: :lol: i will ask the controlling if i can do this, normally they dont like it if i start something like this. (even if i have a backup).