Updateing Model to Hierarchys

HighKeys
OLAP Product: TM1 / TM1 Web / Perspectives
Version: Planning Analytics V2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Updateing Model to Hierarchys

Post by HighKeys »

Hello friends,

i read much about the Hierachys which are added with PA 2.0.5, at the moment we dont use the new Hierarchy system, but i think its worth a try.

I cant find any info according to the DBR(W) formula if there was added a support of hierarchys.

So my question is, we are using some sheets where i used DBRW formulars to read the values, this should be not affected if i'm right?

We also have a websheet where ppl can add comments to our Comments cube, its also solved with a DBRW formula, if i just write directly in the main hierarchy (like no specific one is selected) can i see the data in each hierarchy or just in the main?

If i understand it right i should see it in every hierarchy cause the N Level Element will be the same and not created separately for each hierarchy correct?

Thanks for helping me to understand this topic correctly :)

All the best!
paulsimon
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Updateing Model to Hierarchys

Post by paulsimon »

Hi

Yes that is right. If you don't specify a hierarchy PA will look at the Default hierarchy, ie what you had before you added any named hierarchies. Therefore DBRWs will still work.

If you only enter data against base level elements then those values will be shared across all hierarchies, since the base level is common, regardless of whether you look at the Default hierarchy, then Leaves hierarchy or any Named HIerarchy. It is only when you look at consolidations that you will potentially see differences between hierarchies (Obviously the special Leaves hierarchy cannot have consolidations).

Regards

Paul Simon
HighKeys
OLAP Product: TM1 / TM1 Web / Perspectives
Version: Planning Analytics V2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by HighKeys »

Hello paulsimon,

thank you sir! Very helpful, i will setup a Project for our dev enviroment, lets see :)

BR
PavoGa
MVP
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

Post by PavoGa »

To be sure, one can have leaf elements in an alternate hierarchy that are not in the base/default hierarchy. We run a process against our dimensions with alternate hierarchies to ensure any leaf elements in an alternate hierarchy are added to a special consolidation in the base so that they are available for all the client tools. There are also some cases when a leaf element may not be automatically added to the Leaves hierarchy. We have a process that periodically checks that as well and syncs it up with all the hierarchies. It is rare, but it can happen and is discussed in a thread in this forum. If you cannot find it, if I get a chance, I'll look it up and add the link.
Ty
Cleveland, TN
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Updating Model to Hierarchys

Post by paulsimon »

Hi PavoGo

Yes we do the same. Add any base level elements not in the Leaves hierarchy to the Leaves hierarchy and then add the base level from the Leaves to the Default hierarchy. I have raised the bug of the Leaves hierarchy not automatically being updated with base level elements and IBM are working on it.

We also have a switch that makes the routines that update the Named Hierarchies put the same hierarchy into the Default Hierarchy, for compatibility with older client tools such as Perspectives and TM1 Web. This means that the names of consolidations must be unique across the whole dimension. However, we are comfortable with that and actually prefer it.

Regards

Paul Simon