TM1 cleaning up

WayneBo
OLAP Product: TM1 Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2019

TM1 cleaning up

Post by WayneBo »

Dear all TM1 experts:

I have lots of elements in various dimensions which I am sure not been used at all, which I would like to delete.

I also want to know which elements from what dimension been used in what cubes, so that I can do some clean ups (ie, delete those not been used at all elements and dimensions)

Is there any object cube or something else that I can run ( like a report or not) to provide me a summary how is my elements and dimensions been used in which cube or not?

Or please kindly advise how do I find it out rather than I manually check one by one.

Thank you
W
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: TM1 cleaning up

Post by tomok »

WayneBo wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:28 am Dear all TM1 experts:

I have lots of elements in various dimensions which I am sure not been used at all, which I would like to delete.

I also want to know which elements from what dimension been used in what cubes, so that I can do some clean ups (ie, delete those not been used at all elements and dimensions)

Is there any object cube or something else that I can run ( like a report or not) to provide me a summary how is my elements and dimensions been used in which cube or not?

Or please kindly advise how do I find it out rather than I manually check one by one.

Thank you
W
There's not going to be any magic bullet that will give you this information. To me, there are three scenarios that must be explored before you can determine whether an element is still being used:
  • Is there any data stored against it in a cube,
  • Is it used in a rule and,
  • Is it used in a TI process
For the first one you are going to have to go cube by cube, for each cube that uses the dimension, and create a view that shows the leaf level elements of the dimension in question on the rows and then a top of the house consolidation for the other dimensions in the titles. This will show you which elements have no data.

For the second and third you can take a text editor like Notepad++ and open all the .RUX and .PRO files and do a search for the elements that have zeros in the first search above. These are the exact procedures I follow when I am looking for elements to drop. It's not perfect but it's never failed me yet.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
WayneBo
OLAP Product: TM1 Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2019

Post by WayneBo »

Thanks Tomok for your tips, I will do that.
W
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Elements can also be used in reports or Action buttons, even though there are no data posted against them. So I would propose to also go through the/some reports.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
Emixam
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Emixam »

Hello,

I suggest you the Find in File function in Notepad ++

If you search for a specific Dimension or Element in your TM1 data folder, it will tell you exactly where these objects appear in your model. (.RUX, .PRO, .DIM, ...)

Cheers !