OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP7, PA2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 2013 PAW

MDX FILTER and non-existent elements

Post by PavoGa »

Take the following MDX statement on a cube value:

Code: Select all

FILTER( TM1SUBSETALL( [Product] ),
     [Sales].([Time].[2020_17], [Sale.m].[Dollars]) > 0)
In this case, assume that [Time].[2020_17] is not a valid element in the Time dimension. This query will execute and may actually return a subset.

What it does is use the currentmember of the Time dimension (one might think of this as the default member of the dimension).

No errors. Tested this several different ways on a cube with four dimensions and for any "bad" element on a dimension, the FILTER used the currentmember of the dimension.
Ty
Cleveland, TN
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Re: MDX FILTER and non-existent elements

Post by Mark RMBC »

Hi,

Yes I see this too. I can't imagine a situation where I would allow a non existent element to be included in the MDX but things like this does give cause for caution when using MDX!

The only way I can get the statement to error is if I take off the dimension prefix, so instead of [Time].[2020_17], just [2020_17] or by using strtomember("[Time].[2020_17]").

regards,

Mark
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

That's poor, it's a defect surely?
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
PavoGa
MVP

Post by PavoGa »

Mark RMBC wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:45 am Hi,

Yes I see this too. I can't imagine a situation where I would allow a non existent element to be included in the MDX but things like this does give cause for caution when using MDX!

The only way I can get the statement to error is if I take off the dimension prefix, so instead of [Time].[2020_17], just [2020_17] or by using strtomember("[Time].[2020_17]").

regards,

Mark
I agree, but ran into this doing some testing. What happened was I had inadvertently used an element that is going to be added and got a subset returned when the filter obviously included an non-existent element! Anyway, knowing this could cause a headache trying to debug an MDX statement returning a subset that is obviously wrong may help someone debug their MDX.
Ty
Cleveland, TN
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Well there have been defects i the past where MDX with invalid members has caused the server to crash. I kinda prefer that it takes the defaul member instead of crashing, but it would be better again for the query to just fail with an appropriate error message of the (first found) invalid member.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by Mark RMBC »

Oh so this stops server crashes for invalid members, in that case a welcome improvement, given I have fallen foul of this when I first started out on TM1!
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

There's plenty of situations where I would rather the server fell over than reported nonsense (especially in dev)....at least I would know I had an issue.

Does this issue occur in every context MDX is used or just in specific objects (TIs, subsets, active forms)?
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
PavoGa
MVP

Post by PavoGa »

Mark RMBC wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:24 pm Oh so this stops server crashes for invalid members, in that case a welcome improvement, given I have fallen foul of this when I first started out on TM1!
It is the StrToMember function that crashes the server when presented with an invalid member, at least in our version. Rumors are it has been resolved in later ones.
Ty
Cleveland, TN