Changing constant value with effective date

WayneBo
OLAP Product: TM1 Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2019

Changing constant value with effective date

Post by WayneBo »

Hi All:

I am working for a hotel business, we keep tracking the daily occupancy rate , which is occupancy / available beds (on daily level).

I have an occupancy cube, which made up by Time, Centers and Occupancy_M dimensions.
In Occupancy_M dimension, amount other measurements, I have "occupied beds", which keep tracking the daily actual occupancy, and the "available beds" which is recording the available beds.
The "available beds" does not change very often, but in some cases, it will change and that is based on the center manager's decision.

I have 2 questions regarding to the "available beds" measurement.

How do I put this "available beds" into a maybe like constant variable, so it will auto populated into the Occupancy cube on daily bases on each new day, because, we don't want to ask the center manager keep entering the same number ( in most cases ) each day.

In case of that "available beds" changed ( say, for example, the center manager decide to take few beds offline for a week ) we want the manager to be able to enter the adjusted "available beds", and having an effective date from the date been entered, and without ruin the previous occupancy rate calculation (ie, it is not correct to apply the adjusted total beds into previous occupancy % calculation )

Please kindly help.

Thank you
W
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Changing constant value with effective date

Post by tomok »

Like anything in TM1, there are probably a dozen or more ways to do it. The obvious choice is rules but I wouldn’t rule out a TI process because that is going to be the easiest to maintain and you won’t need feeders. In the form that has the available beds data you could have an action button the manager clicks on after updating and this process would take the current day and populate all future periods with these values. All prior periods would be left untouched.

If you choose the rule route I would have measures called Available Beds – Input and Available Beds – Used. You then write a rule against Available Beds - Used that says, in effect, if the Available Beds – Input element is NOT empty then make it equal that, otherwise make it equal to Available Beds – Used from the prior day. Of course, you will likely need an attribute on your Time dimension to indicate what the "Prior" day is for any particular day.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
WayneBo
OLAP Product: TM1 Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0
Excel Version: 2019

Re: Changing constant value with effective date

Post by WayneBo »

Hi Tomok:

Thanks for your help, I used the rules, your second point.

Its works. Thanks so much.

W